FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExtended breastfeeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 36>
Author
monster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2009 at 10:05pm
Hi first, I've always demand fed my boy but he fell into fairly predictable patterns for feeds over time (teething and illness aside). He uses a sign to ask for milk. He's now on morning and evening feeds, a short afternoon feed (he's sometimes too busy to ask for this if we're out and about) and sometimes during the night if he wakes. We took the babyled solids approach, so milk took a higher priority for the first year, he didn't settle into his current pattern until about 14-15 months. I'm sure there are many people we see often who don't realise I'm still breastfeeding, but if they ask I have no problem telling them what we do.

He's never really taken to EBM in a bottle. I've left him with DH for a weekend a couple of times since he's turned one and he has been fine just with food - plenty of it - and water (he has cow's milk on cereal). I couldn't see the point in expecting him to take a whole feed from a bottle at that stage. I found he increased feeds for a day or two after I got back though, but that might have been to boost my supply again.

Not sure if this is of interest to you too, but I've also recently started wearing underwire bras again. My supply is very settled, so they're comfortable and I feel a bit less mumsy with a bit of lift, IYKWIM.
Sponsored Links

Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2009 at 10:31pm
Hey first both of mine kind of cut back a bit once they got to one anyway. Neither ever had a bottle but they didn't really need one if I went away for the night. I didn't have any problems giving them the odd drink of cows milk in a cup if my boobs weren't available.

I started wearing underwires again when Caprece was about 8 months, I am quite small in that area and my milk settled down quite fast second time around.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2009 at 10:50pm
sorry first i missed those questions...

eden is still having about 3 feeds a day, but my oldest boy had cut down to just one by the time we weaned at 14 mths...

none of my kids have had bottles. if i needed to go out for the night i just hoped for the best, but my kids were old enought for milk not to be an issue for them by that stage any way. and when they were little if i went out without them it was for 3 or 4 houlry periods lol!

my maternity bras are so old and skanky one even had safety pins holding it together (did throw that one out tho) but i do wear an underwire one too seeing as eden is 13 mths and my supply is pretty much sorted.
first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 8:33am
Thanks for your answers to questions. I"m pretty sure that I'm going to continue until he wants to stop but it is nice to see how other mum make it work. I work at home looking after children so going back to work isn't a problem if he does continue to want day feeds. My only concern was having to be around to feed him all the time as my DH plans on taking me away for a day or two when DS is 1year and 10day (our anniversary), but it sounds like he'd be okay just drinking from a cup for a day or two. While you are away do you express to keep your supply up or is it so well established that you don't need to?

Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 10:04pm
I never went away for that long but you may find you get a bit engorged so may want to express a bit. I probably would of had a few expresses throughout the day just to make sure I didn't lose my supply.
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 8:15am
Thanks for the question first, and for the answers ladies! I'm hoping to keep at least the moprning/nights feeds going as long as we're both happy, so it's good to have some tips.

Re: going away, I haven't had that luxury yet (!) but Natalie went on a nursing strike a month or so ago for 4 days (so I may as well have not been here)....I just expressed at her usual feeding times, and although I did find that my supply had dropped off when she finally started feeding again, it was back to normal after a couple of days. If you're only 'missing' 2 or 3 feeds a day, you still might want to express for your comfort, and just be prepared it might take a couple of days to get your supply back to normal.

Edited by blondy
first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 10:15am
I'm sorry I keep coming here with plenty of questions. It does seem a bit silly really because I know I'm not going to even think about stop bfing until my boy is 12 months but I still want to be thinking about further than that.

I have bfed my boy since birth and appart from a few bouts of mastisis and the normal sore breast for the first couple of weeks things have gone well. But I"ve never experienced that oh I just love bf that everyone talks about. People keep telling me that if you bf beyond 12 months that its more for the mother than the baby. WEll I can't say the I love bf, I"m more a I just do it cause its good for my baby and its easy. Does that mean that I should stop at 12 months? I'm happy to go on if DS still wants it because I want him to decide (at I think I do).
Please don't think I hate bfing, I do enjoy it to some extent but not hugely like I feel I'm somehow meant to.

Sorry if this is a big confusing ramble.

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 10:24am
first I'm in exactly the same boat, I like breastfeeding because I like doing things I'm good at iygwim, but have never had that feeling of loving it either. People who say it's more for the mother than the baby don't know what they're talking about (although I'd be lying if I said the weight loss benefits and prospect of holding off AF that little bit longer don't appeal!). I'm with you, I plan on stopping when DS is ready, whenever that might be - which is certainly not in the immediately forseeable future here.

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
Nic01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nic01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 11:20am
I found BF easy but have never really 'loved' it - it was more something that I did that I knew was good for my kids. However I've found now that Bella is down to 1 or 2 feeds a day, I enjoy that time with her more - it doesn't feel like such a chore IYKWIM & I'm not so tied down during the day because she only BF at night. I always planned to BF until 12 months & then see how i went - with Matt he started wesning himself at 13 months & by 14 months just wasn't interested at all. With Bella it felt like more of a chore & I planned to just stop at 12 months. However, like I said when I was down to 2 feeds it became less like a chore & more enjoyable. I've just dropped her morning feed recently, but will probably continue with her night feed for a while longer - she seems to really want it before bed & i'm enjoying just having that 20 minutes or so quiet time with her.
Siananigan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siananigan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2009 at 4:40pm
Oh it's so great to read this forum, I am currently on another forum being heckled from all sides for saying mothers should be able to feed as long as the relationship of bf is working for them and their baby. In fact the WHO recommends 2 years plus and the world average is 4.5 years.

Anyways we are only at 10 months but I intend to go for as long as my wee bundle of magic needs it. In saying that I am sure we will come to a natural cessation somewhere between 1-4 years. I was also 'resistant' to the idea of extended breastfeeding. i thought it was for crazies. Funny how things change!

This is a nice website with some info

http://breastfeed-for-how-long.blogspot.com/
[/url]
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2009 at 12:55pm

well, wish me luck....have decided that I am going to wean Ella this week. Have been meaning to do it the last couple of months, but wasn't feeling strong enough to do....but have decided to get on with it. Last night I managed to convience her that she was a big girl now and didn't need mummy's milk and distracted her by giving her a milo and she was fine with that. So hopefully the next couple of nights will be Ok and then I am going  to drop her early morning feed (she wakes up about 5.30 wanting milk and then goes back to sleep).

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 2:49pm
Good luck!!! And lots a hugs of strength.

I have a question. Did you let your baby just drop feeds by themselves or did you stop the feeds. I want to keep BFing after he's one but I think I only want to do morning and night. At present he has 7am (big feed) 11am (he varies how much he takes) 1500 (usually small feed) 640 bed time feed is average length feed.

Already if I am out he is happy to forgo one of his day feeds (11 or 1500) which is handy if its just not convenant. I don't mind him taking those feeds but I don't want to be having him ask me for them if we are out and about.

NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 6:58pm
when my daughter got to about 15 months I basically stopped offering but if she asked (she would say booby) I would give her a feed, around 13 months I stopped giving her a feed after lunch.

Today she only had a feed around 8:30am, I still giving her a BF before bed but decided to drop that..I think she is getting used to that.

Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2009 at 8:02pm

I have always had to actively drop a feed, as Ella would always ask for it. I usually just tried offering her milk in a cup instead or distracting her.

weaning her, wasn't as hard as I thought.It was a lot easier because she understood when i told her 'mummys milk all gone'. she still asks for it every now and then, but then when I remind her she says 'Ok mummy'. also giving her a milo before bed instead of the feed was a great idea and she now loves milo and gets all excited about it.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 10:20am
I'm not bfing anymore but Caprece dropped all her feeds herself and I didn't offer.

First I never really loved it either but I knew it was beneficial and that made me like it. In saying that I'm loving having my body back to myself again. That whole 'anything over one is for the mother' is a load of sh*t as long as baby is getting breast milk it is beneficial for them as well as for Mum as well.
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 9:14am
Since I started this thread in the first place I thought I would just bump to let you know how we're doing with breastfeeding here. JJ is 15 months now and we're showing no signs of stopping. I started thinking I'd try the "don't offer, don't refuse" method but I was just doing an awful lot of not refusing so now I'm not even thinking about weaning yet.

I'm studying to be a teacher which meant I had two 8 week blocks of being in school full time, so JJ was in daycare full time then. The first practicum I spent all of my break time expressing in the staff toilets and got so exhausted, the second practicum I dropped JJ's day feeds so I fed him morning and night and he had formula at daycare. That finished 3 weeks ago now and JJ went right back to feeding 5-6 times a day, my supply seemed to adjust pretty much instantly, it's amaxing how it happens once you've learned to trust your body huh?

My DH got over it - it helps that I have made a few friends through this site who are still BFing their bubbas the same age (although the mums in my coffee group all dropped off many months ago). We went away to Queenstown to visit family a couple of months ago and DH even commented how handy it was that I was still BFing, we could be in the middle of a ski field and if JJ wanted a drink it was right there, "none of that faffing about with bottles" he said.

My only challenge at the moment is, I'm not sure if it's a growth spurt or what, but this last week JJ's gone from sleeping through or waking for a quick feed overnight (which I used to be able to almost sleepwalk through) to wanting to nurse for a good hour at about 2 or 3am It's not that he's hungry, it's not that he can't self settle, he just gets really angry with me when I take him off the boob (he will eventually come off himself but it takes ages!). So I'm awake for an hour or so feeding him and getting hit and scratched and my hair pulled into the bargain Any ideas?

Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 7:22pm
Ooh, what a wonderful thread, can't believe it took me so long to discover it!
Weegee, that's great that JJ happily went back to full time BFing after having bottles when you were working.
I don't have much advice for the midnight boob-feast except maybe feeding something really fulling for dinner, like potato or something that he will really pig out on and hopefully it will last him all night?
Jody's a little bit younger but I found that she suddenly needed more food and boob during the day to last her all night. I had dropped a mid morning BF when she started waking during the night.
Cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 5:35pm
lol I have no idea how I missed it either Amby! I guess I haven't ventured into the toddler forum very often, but am definitely in that age bracket now!

Lauren is still having 5-6 feeds a day, and a couple during the night as well, she's always been a really frequent feeder and is showing no signs of wanting to give it up. At least we're past the massive growth spurts and hourly feeds!

Has JJ stopped those hour long feeds in the wee hours of the morning? Am finding Lauren is doing that at the moment 3-4 nights a week and it's driving me nuts! Did you find a solution or did he just grow out of it? I have a feeling she's not going to sleep through the night for some time and I don't mind those middle of the night feeds - as you say, I just about sleep walk through them too - but the hour long awakeness is pretty exhausting.
~Cassie~
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 5:49pm
Yeah JJ grew out of it not long after I posted, thank goodness (I guess it was a growth spurt after all). Then a couple of months later I decided to bite the bullet and night wean him (DH got up to him and found resettling him easy), so after about 3 weeks he now consistently sleeps through the night (yay and thank goodness, it was necessary now the preggy tiredness has hit me!).

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 7:26pm
I just wanted to pop in and say

I've been breastfeeding for 17 months today! I never thought I'd be doing it this long, but what else would I do with all this milk?!

I know that 17 months isn't really classed as extended breastfeeding, but it's twice as long as everybody I know in RL. So this is my own little celebration with the only people that won't think I'm a crazy hippy

Poop, had to edit to get the numbers right.

Edited by Flutterby
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 36>