FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedExtended breastfeeding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 36>
Author
rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:56pm
Hehe, I had the "you're STILL breastfeeding?!" comment from a midwife at the hospital on Sunday while visiting a friend and her newborn. I just said "she's not even 1 yet" then the midwife said "good on you" so I guess she was just asking, not judging. Chelsea still BFs 3 times a day and once or twice overnight
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Sponsored Links

Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:12pm
Hi all, only just found this thread, but it looks like I'll be sharing the ranks soon .

I have a question. Plunket says from 1 year on, babies only need 2-3 BF a day.
Well DD is 1 in 3 weeks and it's clear she did not read these Plunket rules. We still seem to have about 5 BF a day + several at night
When she is not feeling well (last week she had a fever and this week a cold ), she tends to go off solids and just wants to BF.

How often did/do you guys BF after your baby turned 1?
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:15pm
eden was havig the same amount at 1yr as 1 month.

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 12:20am
At 1 year my daughter was still having anywhere from 5 - 10 BF a day! At 18 months we're down to about 3 - 7.
jessm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 6:48am
My girl is 15mths, sleeping through at night but having on average 6-12 feeds during the day (I don't count, but sometimes I feel like all she wants from me is milk!). I am quite relieved to read flutterbys post that hopefully she might cut down sometime soon...
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 8:16am
At our 9 month check he was still 5-7 (or more) in 24 hours and waking twice a night, much to plunkets horror. I didn't do anything and he has cut his feeds down and generally now either sleeps through or just wakes once. He is on between 2-4 feeds.

He hasn't been unwell for a while but the last time he just fed off me and didn't really do anything else for the whole time so I think that's normal and is also good cos they are drinking and milk is better than water.

Edited by two_boys
Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 9:34pm
Pfewwww, so relieved to hear that more babies are feeding quite often.
It just didn't feel right to suddenly restrict feeds after I've been BF on demand all year.
Wow Cuppatea, 2-4 feeds a day, that sounds nice. Don't really see that happening anytime soon though.Today it felt like she was tapping my chest ALL day long (her indication she wants a feed). Often she just wants a quick snack.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2010 at 10:52pm
We've now hit one year I fed Alia until she was about 14-16 months? but on far less feeds. Cooper is still very much on demand.

Plunkets "needs" don't match up to Coopers "wants"!!
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 9:50am
Hi, I'll be joining in here soon too! Lydia is still demand fed, anywhere from 4-10 BF's a day and once over night. I have no plans to stop any time soon! I normally feed her at home, usually after she wakes up from a sleep but also for comfort (usually after she's jammed fingers in something or similar! Not every time, but when nothing else helps), and when she crawls over and starts burrowing into my chest...

I am personally of the opinion that Plunket has no idea what they're talking about, and I only go to appointments to get her book filled out. Most people I've come across are really supportive of extended BFing, although maybe it will change after she turns 1!
Cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 4:44pm
Plunket don't have any idea, and every baby is different! lauren was very much a late starter with food and while she eats well now, she still has about six feeds a day and 1-2 during the night and I am fine with that. I don't bother going into it with Plunket too much, just say that yes I am still breastfeeding and intend to continue until she loses interest.

I think with the hot weather anyways babies who are demand fed do want to snack more often.
~Cassie~
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 5:09pm
Geez I was told at 9 months 5-7 feeds was to many and to cut down to 3

Funnily enough he cut down on his own to 3 day feeds and one night feed although not every night.

They are all so different... Plunket can only go by the guidelines that MOH give them....

I am already getting looks when i feed him in public and he is the size of your average 6 month old LOL

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 5:33pm
Yea i think thats one of the pluses of having a small baby.. people dont pick up that B is over a year. and cos hes so bald haha
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 6:29pm
He is quite small, but he gets off the boob and walks off, makes him look even older than he is. Is not that often that I end up feeding him in public though and mostly I only do it if he really really wants a feed, cos if he would just kind of like one then he normally ends up faffing about cos he wants to see what else is going on around him.

Melnel, he did the exact same thing, just sorted it out himself, they know what they are doing. Plunket should just tell mums to trust the lead of the baby if you ask me.

Edited by two_boys
butterfly13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butterfly13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2010 at 10:49pm
I agree - you need to find your own balance between the two of you and do it. Our plunket nurse has been really laid back but the Karitane Nurse is a bit gruff about bf and sleep especially!
My wee guy is 20 months and bf on demand -seemed to get close to weaning about 5 months ago - one morning and one afternoon feed, then bedtime and through the night several times but this all changed with the next lot of teeth or cold and we just roll with it - hot weather in the last few days down here in Central Otago means I feel like a human drinking fountain-think it is comforting as well as refreshing. My partner was/is a bit resistant to us continuing to bf - boobs are his and now is tired of sharing! And I don't do public bf if I can help it -although he asks for 'booby' in a big voice now!! I would suggest naming it something less graphic if you can!
There are so many dos and don'ts and so many ideas I think you need to listen to your own feelings-it seems to come with time and good people around - like you lot and LLL
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 11:23pm
I planned to stop at 12 months with James...so at 11 months I started trying cows milk and different sippy cups etc. Nup....didnt happen and what do ya know....we've passed 12 months and I dont see it stopping any time soon.

I was also in the "if he can ask for it by name , he's too old camp" but meh, I dont care now.

I dont feed in public for 3 reasons a) James wont feed with ANY distractions b) all his feeds are pre sleeps and c) it stops people looking at me funny or asking questions. When James needs a sleep I just excuse myself to his room to "put him to sleep". Who knows what i get up to

He's currently on 3-4 feeds during the day and maybe 1 overnight. But it varies depending on when he wakes and what we do. If we are out and about he skips it.

I'd love to get to just morning and night but I need to come up with another strategy for getting him to sleep.

I have actually been wondering if he even NEEDS it from a nutritional point of view these days or is he just comfort sucking.....he never took a dummy like his brother...I guess I was his "dummy"
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2010 at 10:10pm
Wow, good to know so many of you are still BFing during the night with bubbas over a year old! Nearly everyone I know looks at me with a mixed look of shock and pity when I say Campbell still wakes at night for some booby!
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2010 at 11:21pm
I'll join in here too. I remember being about 7mths pregnant at a friends for a barbeque and we were all discussing extended BFing - all were in the 'once they walk & talk they're far too old for boob' camp.. including myself!
But I honestly love BFing DD. It's comforting for both of us and I love having the one on one time with her. So as she approaches 10mths, my initial plan to wean her at 1 has been revisited and I've decided to just see how things go.
Most people are really surprised that we're still going. DH isn't too pleased about me feeding her as a toddler, but too god dang bad!
Oh and Plunket - my nurse is fantastic, she thinks it's great that everything is going well, my Karitane Nurse on the other hand, has repeatedly informed me that more than 4 feeds per 24hours after baby turns 6mths is TOO MANY - So like SquishysMum, I only go to get the book filled out.

So in summary, still demand feeding, anywhere between 4-8 sometimes 10 feeds per day. Great to see lots of others doing the same
Cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2010 at 7:56am
Reading through and being a part of this thread really makes me feel so much better about what we're doing. it's SO nice to know that I'm not alone! at least half of my friends haven't got kids and they just don't get why I am still feeding Lauren, and probably won't even after they are parents possibly I guess.

nzpiper, I'm in the same boat with Lauren, she absolutely won't sleep unless I feed her before hand. I figure one day we'll figure out how to make the transition over to not needing it, but right now I need my sleep and would rather give her a quick feed than deal with an hour plus of crying and misery. I think you have to weigh up the cost to you vs the gain. 10-15mins of snuggle time with my baby for a good sleep (1-2hrs in the day, 5-6 at night)is well worth it compared to 1-2 hours of misery for a short nap (20-45mins).
~Cassie~
toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2010 at 12:57pm
It is a comfort thing when they get older.
I have found my daughter is a lot easier to say no to as she has gotten older. She is 20 months old & still has 3 or 4 feeds a day on an average day.
Generally first thing in the morning she will climb out of her bed & come for a feed, then after lunch & before bed are the normal times. Occasionally she will fit in an extra feed in there somewhere but thats fine by me as she normally sleeps a good 10-12 hours at night. I make sure she gets plenty of dinner & a nice warm bath before having a quick feed before bed has really helped with getting her to sleep all night, but all my kids have been good sleepers so I think its just in her nature to do so
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2010 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by jessm jessm wrote:

On the other hand, not sure what affect it has on ttc. That would be the one thing at the mo which might make me think about actively weaning her. Anyone else had issues in this dept? Or advice?

Have gotten pregnant 3 time snow while breastfeeding so I would say that it is not really an issue
I have age gaps of LESS than 2 years between all 3 kis plus the one I am currently carrying LOL
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 36>