FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedToo Hard on Him

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thunderwolves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunderwolves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too Hard on Him
    Posted: 18 November 2008 at 8:04pm

Not really much point to this, just needed to ramble somewhere other than inside my head...

My problem is that I am quite hard on Ethan, and I do expect a lot from him..much more than you should expect from a just 2 year old. I know this is a bit of a problem but I can't change my mindset on this.

There are two things that really contribute to this, number one is that I know he is a very clever boy and very advanced for his age, he has amazing language and very good comprehension, so because of that i forget that his little brain is only two. I am a trained early childhood teacher and I think a big part is the teacher taking over the mummy in me, I want to extend him to his full potential,

The other reason is the family history on his dads side, there a lot of boys (his dad is one of 6 boys and all the brothers have children, mostly boys) and all the boys have major behaviour and discipline problems, and I really don't want that kind of behaviour for my boy. They really baby their kids and never make them accountable for their behaviour, even at 6 and 7 the excuse is "oh they're just little and don't understand" (my ass). I know most of that is their parenting but all the boys do have excessivly high energy levels, and very low concentration levels...

See, there isn't much point other than a ramble, but any ideas how I can fix my brain would be awesome...sometimes after he goes to bed at night, I just sit down and think he is only two, he is not a baby but not the big boy I expect him to be.....

Sponsored Links

pomikiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2008 at 8:29pm
When kids are bright, you do tend to forget their ages very easily. Twins that I nannied for in Italy were only 3 but acted and spoke (bi-lingual)extremely well. Dont be too hard on yourself hun, the fact that you realise means you can do something about it and maybe relax with certain things.
I'm quite strict too, I think lots of people let kids run the household and thats not how it;s should be, they're children not the boss, lol!

DD-Carys Amelia 17.03.06
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2008 at 8:52pm
who says you are too hard on him....maybe others are just to lax on theirs.  Maybe you just care about your wee guy and want him to turn out ok.  you love him...what more does he need?
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2008 at 10:28am
I have a similar problem with my 4 year old.
I know I expect way too much from her and I feel really awful when she gets upset because she can't do what I have asked of her.
I think a lot of my expectation comes from her being the older child. Benjy is a real handful (mostly in a good way) and I expect her to know better and set an example for him.
I know how unreasonable it is and am really trying to change my thinking as I know that it is me who is at fault.
I'm trying to have 1 on 1 quality time with her every day where we do fun stuff together.
It makes such a difference for both of us. It helps me get back to her level and I find I relate to her a lot better and am more patient. She is so much more obliging and calm.
Sorry for rambling on, I don't know if any of my stuff helps in your situation but I thought I'd let you know you're not the only one who does it and what is helping for me!
Good luck chick!

Edited for weird paragraphing

Edited by caraMel
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2008 at 9:17pm
Sometimes I find it helpful to hang out with a friend with a kid of the same age, when I see how they relate/act it helps me remember that mine is "only" the same age and relax.
NeoshasMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeoshasMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 5:02pm
Awww hugs, it is really hard. Im going through a similar thing with N at the moment, I know she understands me and sometimes I get frustrated with her but I find that stepping back, taking a look at the bigger picture helps. In so many ways shes really well behaved and onto it so if it's just one thing at that particular time that gets to me, it simply can't compare to the 15 other things she did that day that were amazing for a girl her age.

We are "quite" strict on N. Plunket/PAFT both suggested blocking off areas that we don't want her in (kitchen cupboards) but in my mind she should learn that it was unacceptable to go in there rather than it's blocked so it's only a barrier that I need to get over concept. This was big for a girl her age but she really gets it now and we don't have a problem. Same with touching the t.v and home theatre equipment, people told us our setup wasn't suitable for a toddler but she knows it's totally off bounds and the only time we have an issue with it is when other kiddies are around.

I guess what im getting at is there is heaps that they do right, and very few hings they do wrong when you are "strict" if you have this then you are doing great. Focus on that, oh and pushing our kids to be the best they can be in a nurturing way is exactly what parenting is about. Don't get down hun.

Mrs Te Kani ❤️
Neosha 26/5/2007
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 8:44pm
Pick me. Maya has always been mature for her age, she never really went thru the destructive toddler phase, she's always been reasonably well behaved altho she does throw some whopper tantrums! But sometimes I think I am unrealistic in what I expect from her, and I do feel like she bears the brunt of my frustration. Like if the three of them have made a mess in the lounge and I ask them to clean it up and they don't, I'll jump on her for it rather than the gremlins coz she's old enough to know to do what she's told whereas they're not, and that's a bit unfair on her.

I'm trying really, really hard to remember that she is only five, it's tough coz she acts so much older and she understands so much. I'm trying to focus on special Maya and mummy stuff too that only "big girls" get to do, like I'm reading The Whale Rider to her before bed each night a few pages at a time, and I take her out to my evening scrapbooking class etc.

Sorry, a bit OT, but wanted to let you know you're not the only one. It's tough when you have a child that is reasonably bright/advanced for their age, sometimes they're too clever for their own good!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 12:32am
I think so many parents now days are so relaxed that 'normal' parenting can seem quite strict in comparison! Often when we go out with children of a similar age I am pleasantly surprised at how well behaved Charlotte is (and appalled at how feral our friends kids are!)- I don't think of us as strict parents, but we have certain expectations and we enforce them.   

I think that a good mantra is to 'choose your battles'. For me, there are certain things that matter- like using your manners, looking after property, being safe, no hitting etc. and those are the things I will be hard on them about.

One thing is that DH grew up with a father who had very very high expectations that he could never meet. He has big issues with feeling inadequate and never being good enough- so I think if you are going to be 'strict' is it extra important to follow it up with positive reinforcement. Make sure they know you are proud when they get it right
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 2:50pm
I agree with Jennz!!

I also think I am a strict parent because in my eyes Z is also very bright and knows and understands alot!

She is a good little girl...every one who meets her say that to us. She is polite and sweet and most of the time listens to us when we say some thing (oh but she has her moments of Tantrums too).

When there are tantrums (not often) I ignore her...I tell her calmly that when she has finished crying she should come and see me...and most of the time with in Min she will come and say that she has finished!! I do put her on the corner for stuff like hitting (again not often). But I also make sure I praise her on every thing that she does well.....

They other day we were hanging washing together and she said "You are such a big girl mumma...I am proud of you"...I had a giggle and said "I am very proud of you tooo my baby...thank you for helping mumma"....and her reply was "you welcome". I love that!!

Sorry to ramble on...but I think you have to be strict and set bounderies and at the same time make sure the bounderies are not too far fetched!

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2008 at 7:46pm
Ha ha, my kids are on both ends of the spectrum - Maya is well mannered and well behaved, and the gremlins are complete and utter ferals. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it turns out Mercedes has ADHD, they are unstoppable and she's usually the most destructive.

Then again, she does say please and thank you. Maybe something is actually getting thru!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 8:59pm

I agree with everything Jennz said.

We have high expectations of Michaela but we also have high expectations of ourselves as parents and we're very into positive reinforcement and anti-yelling and smacking.

I also think that many other parents have extremely low expectations of their children and some just seem to be afraid to parent iykwim.

IMO there's a lot of self fulfilling prophecies going on in the world of parenting.  Those parents that call their children monsters or leeches, or any other awful names I've heard people use, tend to have little monsters.  Not sure if it's because they have low expectations, generally see the worst in their kids or a mixture of both but IMO children are all basically good and it's the parents that need to adapt their parenting if their kids are constantly misbehaving.

FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 9:06pm
I agree with the others. I've been toughening up on please and after less than one week she is now using it consistently :) In our house sleep or lack there of has a significant effect on behaviour i.e. nights with little sleep = days of lots of rebellion whereas good sleep = good behaviour.
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 9:08pm
LOL Jo, maybe if I stopped calling the gremlins 'the hooligans' they'd be a bit less hooligan-like?
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 10:02pm
Hehehe Emma!
*Looks at signature, then at the carnage surrounding self*
Might try calling them them something less carnage inciting tomorrow
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 November 2008 at 10:15pm
Mine aren't really "naughty" they are just incredibly, incredibly high energy/full on. They pretty much need to be running 24 hours a day so any situation where they have to sit still for more than about 5 mins is always a bit stressful.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
 Post Reply Post Reply