FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSleep probs - please help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sleep probs - please help!
    Posted: 20 November 2008 at 2:57pm
I don't know what has sparked this but we are having soooo many issues getting Daniel to go to sleep.

Basically this has been going on for 9 days and after trying to get him down for a nap earlier I've had enough and wondered if anyone has any suggestions..

Basically, you go to put him down and he screams blue murder - this happens both during the day and at night. We were starting to make progress but the past 2 days have gone back to being horrible

His routine hasn't changed, he is definitely tired so it's not that we are putting him to bed when he doesn't need to, he's not thirsty or hungry. He has his precious taggie with him always. He's not hot or cold.

We have tried getting him to go to sleep in his cot and also in his big boy bed which is also set up in his room. The only way we can get him to sleep is by staying with him humming songs until he actually falls asleep and waiting until he's in a deep sleep then leaving the room without a sound, if he senses that we are going he starts up again. This can take anywhere between 10 mins and 2hrs We have also got out his old white noise cd and night light to help. Which sorta does help I think.

After 2hrs of trying to get him to go down for his nap I've given up for today. He's tired yawning away and rubbing his eyes but just won't go to bloody sleep! He was happy and talking whilst I was in the room but as soon as I leave the screaming starts.

I've tried leaving him to cry it out but it simply didn't work which is weird since it's worked before. First time he got so worked up I could hear him gagging so I had to go in. The second I got sick of hearing the screaming after an hour.

His ears are fine, there is physically nothing wrong with him.

What can I try?

I miss my nice little boy who slept brilliantly!!
Sponsored Links

FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 3:18pm
Hmmm. That is a tricky one. He is too young for nightmares. Maybe separation anxiety? I think they go through another phase of that at roughly 18 months.

I'm not much help sorry.
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
cat007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 4:14pm
Thats a tough one. Normally I let DS cry it out but in this case it hasnt worked for you. I do suggest that you dont make a habit of humming or being in the room when he goes to sleep. He will get so used to it and it can be the worst type of habit to break.

A random idea, why dont you try putting him into his cot with some books - he might play until he falls to sleep. Hopefully he will grow out of this phase soon.

My DS lies in his cot and kicks the end of it to get our attention. Im really worried that he may smash his cot more (already one bar smashed out) and we are needing it for one of the twins in a couple of months time. They just go through these funny sleep phases.
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 7:23pm
I am probably not much help as Jack has never been a brilliant sleeper. What I would do is whatever works until you find out the cause, at least he will get some sleep that way. You can always wean him off the humming etc later. But then I am not one for CIO or CC so this may not suit you.

Whatever you do, good luck!!
Lindsey

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 7:35pm
I'm totally fine with CC/CIO. We have used CC on him before with success. But this time is different, he never used to get himself this worked up before with it
MissCandice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 7:41pm
What about that bedtime bath routine stuff? We have found it actually works with Kylah when she wont go to sleep, we fill her a warm bath with that stuff, then give her a warm bottle of milk put her in bed with it and walk out..
~ Mummy to a beautiful girl ~
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 7:56pm
No, that bedtime bath stuff makes his skin dry. But that is his routine anyway. Bath then bottle and bed. Has been that way since he was a month old
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 11:02pm
I really feel for you Stacey.
Samantha started doing this a few weeks back as well. She made herself vomit a couple of times she got herself so worked up.
I got her a glow bear for in her cot hoping that would help. I am not sure if it was anything to do with it but after a week or so she stopped. It was weird, like someone flicked a switch. She is now back to self settling with no problems.

I have my fingers crossed that Daniel is having a similar 'stage' and will get over it soon.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 8:09am
God I hope so. He screamed in his cot so we put him in his big bed and he went to sleep from being exhausted. I'm going to try and put him straight into his big bed for his sleep today and see if he does that again
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 3:06pm
I'm going to watch this thread as Sam has been doing the same thing. I have had to give up trying to put him to sleep during the day sometimes as he just will not go to sleep. Same with night time. He has the same routine every day, but last night he refused to go to sleep until 10PM! He had been in bed since 8PM.   He cried, he talked, he moved around, he banged the side of the cot. He was tired as well, rubbing his eyes and yawning.   He has also starting screaming blue murder when I leave the room. Last night I had to go in repeatedly because he was getting out of his pyjama top and getting his legs stuck in the bars.

I hope it's just a short phase and the good sleeping starts again because like Daniel, Sam has always been a really good sleeper.   Until now!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 3:08pm
Spencer did this a little while ago but just with his nap not with bedtime itself. I just got him back up cos I actually thought he was in the process of dropping his afternoon nap but a few weeks later and he now has his nap again no trouble, the only thing I can put it down to is that he had a big developmental spurt.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 6:52pm
Well we are making some progress..

I don't think he wants to be in a cot anymore. Last night he slept good in his bed, today I got him down for an hour without too much fuss in his bed and tonight he complained about DH leaving but it was for about 20 seconds so I think we will end up removing the cot from his room and just using his bed now.

There is no way I'm letting him drop his afternoon sleep. Both him and I need him to have it lol
Gaelic Lass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaelic Lass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 12:34am
Glad to hear you are making progress Stacey... we are having similar problems here with our 18mth old and think it might be a bit of a phase. She only has a short-mid length nap once a day and has always been a brilliant night sleeper - but is quite hard to settle for her night sleep recently. We'd put her down and she'd be back up within half and hour screaming blue murder. I think it could have been teething too... which was upsetting her. Tricky too because we've just moved our near 5 mth old into the nursery as well - so they can both set each other off sometimes!

Best of luck and hope Daniel continues to settle well for you They are finicky things these toddlers sometimes!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2008 at 1:12pm
*bump*

I'm getting so fed up with this..

A couple of times I have thought we were making progress but we aren't. He is tired and grumpy all the time and all because he won't just go to bloody sleep.

I've taken him back to the docs, nothing wrong with him other than being tired.

He's in his big bed. Once he's asleep he's fine but getting him to sleep is just an f'in nightmare. Put him down, he screams. Leave the room he screams. Stay in with him and he sits there laughing and talking to you.

I've been trying to get him down for a nap before his swimming lesson since 11:30 and he's still crying. I'm so over this. He's going to be a right little grumpy ass all afternoon now.

Last night it took him an hour and 1/2 to go to sleep and he's waking up earlier than he used to.

Anyone got any ideas??
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2008 at 7:36pm
Sorry no ideas, just sympathise with you!! . Jack seems a lot grumpier during our normal nap and bedtime routine. I have wondered a couple of times if he is hot so have dropped the number of layers he wears and am keeping his windows open until we go to bed. He does seems to be waking a bit earlier too, just before 7am when he used to sleep till about 7.30am
Lindsey

Post Reply Post Reply