FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCamping with a 1yr old for summer, tips?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Madiandmini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madiandmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camping with a 1yr old for summer, tips?
    Posted: 11 September 2009 at 1:23pm
Hi all, this summer hubby and I are taking our to be 1yr old camping ( In a tent ). She is at the moment a brilliant sleeper (3 sleeps of 1hr - 2hrs a day) so I am hoping this will not be a problem, but it will also be very hot!
She will no doubt be walking by then aswell, as she is now, but with the use of an aid.
I was wanting any tips you parents out there have??
Maybe I wil need a play pen?

Sponsored Links

jaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 3:58pm
We took Caleb camping a few of times when he was 7-8 months and again at 18-19 months. We put him in his portacot which also doubles as a playpen but didn't end up using the playpen. We found a buggy style pram invaluable for rough terrain (walking to the loos or beach) and he slept in it really well during the day. He stayed pretty close to us as he was in an unfamiliar surroundings so I never felt he was at risk, although I wouldn't recommend camping right on the beach or beside water. I took plenty of snacks, fruit, bread and canned baby food for him because I couldn't rely on him getting hungry when our meals were ready. I actually find him quite easy to take away because he will curl up in my lap, his pram or the carseat when driving to sleep and is still in nappies so no dashing to the toilets.

It does get cold at night so you need extra bedding. You also need to be careful about exposure to the sun during the day because you can't ask them to stay in the shade for a few hours like you would an older child.
Madiandmini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madiandmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 4:20pm
Great advice there!!
My daughter has pale skin so thats why I thought a playpen in the shade..
We will be camping in campsite so a wee walk from the water - Thankfully!
You are lucky to have had such an easy-going son!

Post Reply Post Reply