FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedToddler replaced by demon...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toddler replaced by demon...
    Posted: 29 September 2009 at 2:20pm
Seriously, I'm doing this on my own and have managed to get Ava sorted and on meds for reflux, so now she's sleeping well etc.

BUT now my first born has gone completely feral! He's been in a bed for 3 months and now gets out all the time, has been in his room for 2 hours now and not slept even though he's exhausted. I've taken everything out of his reach that I can but the few things I did leave as I have nowhere for them (toys, a few books) have been hiffed at the wall and he's just made yet another hole in the wall (last one was only just fixed). He smacks his head against the door and screams constantly.

I know we're getting to the terrible 2's stage, favourite word is no and he has the sourpuss face down to a fine art, but my god he's actually never nice anymore.

He hits, kicks, spits, screams, breaks everything then cries when they're broken... it's doing my head in.

We do time out, plus I aim to do the 4:1 approach with positive reinforcement vs punishment. My house is being destroyed, my poor baby gets no 1-on-1 time because its constantly taken up with saving something from Jack (usually the cat who he used to be nice to, now he tries to strangle him and stand on him all day).

Is this normal or is he just being a feral little brat? I know part of the problem is his dad's never home but that's something that as an army kid he's just going to have to get used to (I do reward chart things -age appropriate- with him to help with the separation).

Sorry for the rant but I really need some advice.. I really feel like we're trying everything and he's just getting worse. (Oh and he's been fine with Ava being around, up until a couple of weeks ago where it all turned to custard).
Sponsored Links

LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 3:11pm
Awww what a rough time!!

I don't really have any advice... just that when that happened to us a while ago, I was ready to trade Chloe away for just about anything... and then she cut a couple of teeth and turned into this perfect angel! So for us it was just her being easy to aggravate because she was having a rough time herself, I guess. Doesn't make it any easier but I liked knowing that she hadn't just gone mental I wish I had realised that's what it was at the time, but oh well, no way of knowing.

Have you tried giving him pamol?

Other than that I don't really have anything to offer except for hugs... wish I lived nearby so I could give you a break for an hour or two!
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 3:38pm
Daniel has ferral moments. Even though you said you had no where to put them I'd still take out the toys and books from his room and put them in a walldrobe or somewhere out of reach. Daniels room only has his bed, his dresser and a box ontop for nappies and shoes and thats it. No toys or nothing. I shut the door and leave him to it with checking on him every now and then to make sure he hasn't done poos. He gets no attention from me whatsoever and it eventually worked, when hes tired now he just sleeps.
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 5:42pm
Sam has his feral moments too but is slowly starting to settle down again.   He would constantly throw things, bang doors, not do as he was told etc and sleeps during the day stopped a loooong loooong time ago which meant a very long day for both of us.

Since moving into a house with darker curtains and taking everything out of his room that he could reach, and letting him just sing and talk to himself for a while within a few days he slept 2+ hours three days in a row.

Apparently when I was little I was really bad for sleeping during the day so my mum put black blankets up against the curtains and made it really dark and took everything out of my room.

I hear you on the holes in the wall thing!   Sam put a huge hole in the wall in the rental place I was in before this one by slamming the door repeatedly.

It's really hard being on your own with littlies though, you feel like the day will NEVER end and then you wake up the next day after broken sleep and do it all again.   Not sure how I'll be when this one arrives!   

Hope he comes right soon.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2009 at 7:56pm
Will he play in his room at all? On the days that Spencer doesn't nap he just plays in his room for a couple of hours, gives us both some quiet time and then like today cos he had a play and not a sleep I ended up putting him to bed at 6 cos he had got to the point where he just was unable to listen anymore and was being very naughty.

I have also found that we seem to be coming out of the feral phase and we now have many more good days than bad, so I think, and I hate to say it, that you might need to expect things to get worse before they get better.

Spencer stopped having a nap for about 3-4 months and then suddenly started having them again, dunno what that was all about but I am very pleased that he is back to having a nap most days.

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2009 at 3:07pm
That's not what I want to hear cuppatea

Yeah LB I've constantly had him on pamol because last time he was like this he cut a molar, even tried pamol and nurofen yesterday to see if it made a difference but alas I don't think he's in much pain.

I had hoped by keeping some toys in his room he would play if he wanted to be up. He plays in his room by himself all the time, but just not at bed time. Typical!

Oh well, perseverance I guess! Failing that, I'm sure his grandparents would like to keep him
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 11:05am
Emz have you had his ears etc checked? I know it sounds random but apparently they can get really upset if there's a problem there.

Other than that nothing useful to add I'm afraid except I think you're amazing in the job you're doing. I can't even cope with Rowan some days and I have DH here and no other baby yet.

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 12:09pm
He always has ear infections, but just had them checked today and they're draining well atm. It's one of the first things I think of too.

Umm... so feral child has now split his head open at daycare leaving a 2cm gash in the middle of his forehead. Gah what next?! (Oh, and he's OK(ish) but they had to call ambulance due to it being a head injury so that was scary)
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 7:27pm
Oh I saw that on FB but had to run off before I could comment. Poor wee man - and that message they gave you was rubbish! You must have had a heart attack.

Post Reply Post Reply