FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBedroom mayhem - for how long?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Twinboys2b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinboys2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bedroom mayhem - for how long?
    Posted: 01 October 2009 at 9:42am
Hi guys,

So my boys pull them selves up on everything, which is fine and they play in their bedroom for most of the day as it's a pretty decent size.

So now it has an empty bookcase in there with everything that used to be on the shelves piled on the top shelf which they can't reach (yet). What do you guys do with bookcases/open shelves?

- Do they just grow out of sweeping everything off each shelf & chucking it on the floor?
- What did you do with all their books & other paraphinalia? I was thinking of buying closed drawers but then they're just going to jam their fingers in it all the time & it's not the ideal place to store books. Grrrr.

3yr old gorgeous ID twin boys.
Sponsored Links

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:13am
I have the bookcase just outside the bedroom door in the hallway - close enough to get a bedtime story, but out of the hurricane's reach.
After watching my close friends battle this, it appears that they don't grow out of it until around 3 so I decided that it wasn't worth the extra work to have open shelves in her room - the change table is bad enough!
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:24am
I screwed the shelves up on the wall lol bottom ones are within reach and have his baskets with toys and un-rippable books in them for his to haul out and everything else out of reach!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinboys2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:31am
Babe: great idea - I like the screwing of the bookshelf on the wall. Maybe I look into a smaller bookshelf to do that with.

Flutterby: was hoping to contain everything in their room as our corrider isn't huge but might have to. Until 3 - eek
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:47am
We have a open bookshelf in the room and the books used to get swept off ALL the time but now Gabrielle is getting the hang of just taking one of at a time - just had to catch her in the act several times to teach her. Don't think my patience would stretch to having to teach it to 2 tyrants at once though!!!

I saw a cool idea in a magazine that built one long shelf - like a freeze that went all along a wall and the books could be displayed nicely on that - it was a real feature.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:50am
We used to get everything taken off the bookshelf but now he realises it makes it harder for him to find the one book hes looking for so hasn't done it in months lol
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:54am
I got the colourful 3 shelf ones from warehouse, flipped them sideways and put them above each other - see pic

ETA generally there are baskets in the three lower shelves with cars in one, books in another and match up animals in the third. Keeps it organised and he learnt to tell which one he wanted to play with. Easy to tidy too!

Edited by Babe
xLUCKYx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLUCKYx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2009 at 10:57am
Wow Babe they look cool - good idea!
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 12:53pm
If the child is made to pick up EVERY SINGLE BOOK AND TOY each time they rip them off the shelves, they soon learn it's not that fun Jack's already slowing down his rampage and now only yanks a few toys and books off thank god it was getting pretty frustrating but nowhere else to put them

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinboys2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 9:14pm
Thanks guys,

Emz: my boys arn't at the stage to 'help' me clean, they enjoy both copying me put books on the shelf and then pulling them down again but will start purposely doing this task with them. I hope by the time they reach the top shelf they can understand the frustration of cleaning up after themselves.

My husband had a good idea, we have taken out the third shelf so they don't have anything to pull up on to reach the top shelfs. So everything they are allowed to touch (i.e. books they won't rip the pages out of & toys etc) is on the bottom two shelves and other items on the top. Times like this I'm glad they are short!
 Post Reply Post Reply