FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDropping the afternoon sleep?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dropping the afternoon sleep?
    Posted: 10 October 2009 at 8:45pm
Zoe is 22 months and has been having up to 2 hours sleep every afternoon.

But lately, we have been having alot of trouble getting her to stay in bed, sometimes it takes up to 1.5 hours! and it is driving us bananas.

We thought, maybe if we dropped the arvo sleep that she will go to bed and stay there! Fingers crossed.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 10:46pm
can she make it the whole day without a sleep and not turn feral? Jack can't.

We found that it took 3 months (as in, has only just got better in the last week) for Jack to settle for a day sleep and then settle well at night as well.

I think having time out is a good thing, for your own sanity. My aunty gave me great advice - when her daughter, at 2yo decided she was too old for a nap, my aunty basically said, well that's nice, but you're going to your room for 1.5 hours, so sleep, play, whatever you like, but we're both having quiet time. Apparently just having that quiet time, whether it's a nap or not, does help get them through the day and if they're not too overtired will help them sleep at night.

Does Zoe have music or anything like that? We bought Jack a new music box so he'll just lie in bed making the projector shine on the roof etc while he's grizzling, and before you know it, he's fallen asleep (usually with his hand still on the on switch!)
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 11:32am
We went through a stage like that with Jake where he either wouldn't go down for a nap or if he slept well then he wouldn't go to bed but in the end we just put him into bed, said its quiet time(nap) or its time for sleep(bedtime) and shut the door. He'd often get up and play then at naptime fall asleep on the floor or at bedtime fall asleep on his covers but we didn't pay him any attention or tell him off or anything and he ended up falling back into a good sleep routine. We also pulled his naptime back by an hour.
Like Emz said with Jackson, Jake can't make it all day without a nap without turning feral so we were pretty determined to over-ride him
Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 6:18pm
Well today she couldn't have a sleep as we were out for Lunch, and it is 6.15pm so bedtime for both kids soon. She has done pretty well all day to make it till now. A wee bit grumpy now. Fingers crossed that she will sleep all night without getting out of bed.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 6:43pm
Spencer didn't have a nap for months, then all of a sudden started napping again. Now some days he does some he doesn't, if he misses his nap for a few days in a row he gets intolerable but the odd one here and there he is ok. He always goes in his room for about 2 hours even if he doesn't sleep he will play quietly for a while so at least it's a bit of down time for him (and me). If he would watch TV for any amount of time I would probably get him to watch a kiddies movie but unfortunately he does like the TV but only watches for a few mins at a time but that might be something you could try if Zoe doesn't like to play in her room.
Luckily for us though he always goes to bed without any fuss no matter how much or how little sleep he has had the rest of the day.

Lisha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 9:18pm
Zoe only came out twice tonight! Whipppeee... but then again she was very tired.

She does like TV - so might put Maisy on for her tomorrow afternoon, instead of a sleep and see how that goes.
Lilysmummy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilysmummy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2009 at 8:23pm
I am so lost on this.. Lily has always been such a good sleeper but lately what a mess...

Before daylight savings she was a 0615 wake, 1:30 nap and 7:30 bed. After the time change she wakes now more 0700 and is fighting everything else. We can't handle a bed time of 8:15 (if we moved it 45 mins for the extra sleep in the morning) but it all just seems to be a mess. Trying to leave her to settle herself at the moment and she's been doing that whiny cry now for about 30 mins.... not a full on cry which is why I haven't gone in...

What to do...what to do....over tired or need to drop nap - I'm lost.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 10:05am
Sounds like shes overtired. Daylight savings is a PITA!
Jake had a good week of not settling well after the DS change and in the end I found putting him to bed for a nap earlier actually helped so instead of 12.30 he went down at 11.30.
I can't explain why it worked but I was just happy it did coz he was a monster!! We kept his bedtime at the normal clock time too so in bed by 6.30/7pm.
GL and welcome to OB!
Lilysmummy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilysmummy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 3:30pm
Well she slept through last night no trouble after the crying, was 8:30 in the end. Will be interesting tonight as she has been at daycare so likely to be really tired. Might start bedtime at 6:30 if not earlier.... she only naps for 40 mins max at daycare so will need the sleep. Fingers crossed....
 Post Reply Post Reply