FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedsleeps for a 13 month old?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
denny25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denny25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sleeps for a 13 month old?
    Posted: 15 October 2009 at 11:33am
Ava still sleeps ALOT! She goes to bed at 7pm and wakes at around 6.30am.

Her morning sleep is 10am - 11.30am and her afternoon sleep is 3-4pm.

The teachers at daycare think she sleeps too much and want to try her on 1 sleep a day (at 11.30am)

IS she sleeping too much?
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 11:44am
Nah, if it aint broke don't fix it I say. She will drop it when shes ready
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 12:00pm

Ella has always had a high sleep requirement and at that age would have a couple of hrs in the morning and another couple of hrs in the afternoon, so I would personally just leave it. You will soon find that she will start to push out the morning sleep later and later until the 2 sleeps merge into 1. Even now at 2.3 months Ella still sleeps for 3 hrs during the day

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 4:13pm
Jakes 2 sleeps became one around that time ... partly because it suited daycare, but partly cos his morning one was getting later and later. He was always a big sleeper though too, so still had two some days, or one really long one .... and like ella he sleeps for 2-4hours still! I would just gradually push the morning one out a little later, til the arvo one starts to affect bedtime, then when you think its time to drop the arvo one, give lunch at 11/11.30 and down for the nap after that. She may need to go to bed a bit early for a few weeks when she first drops to one.

But no, shes not sleeping too much for her age. be grateful she does sleep well at daycare!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Twinboys2b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twinboys2b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 6:48pm
NO, my boys are the same age & they sleep SO much (more than any other bubs I know their age):

They sleep:
7pm - 7.30am
9.30 - 11.00am
1.30 - 3.30/4

Jacob's only recently starting to change and sleep a bit less than Eli by about 1/2hr. They've always been amazing sleepers & every time I go to the Paed or Plunket I mention it and ask if there is anything I should look out for i.e. is this normal and I always get 'you're lucky & it's nothing to be concerned about'.

So join the lucky club & enjoy it while it lasts :)
3yr old gorgeous ID twin boys.
crafty1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crafty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 6:51pm
Alex was still firmly on 2 sleeps at that age and it's quite normal. I think he went to one sleep at about 15 months. At 13 months he could do it but got pretty grumpy, then he started resisted having that afternoon one and would just flap around in the bed, and then be tired and ready for bed early. So we bit the bullet and pushed the sleep out till after lunch just all at once. Saying that he still has 2 sleeps on Friday when he goes to work with DH.

Daycare should wait till he gives the signs of being ready rather than pressure you to get him onto one. He knows what he needs and wait till he starts having trouble with it before changing it.

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by kebakat kebakat wrote:

Nah, if it aint broke don't fix it I say. She will drop it when shes ready

What she said.
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 7:18pm
Maybe also more tired at daycare cos of the extra stimulation?

Daniel's still fluctuating between 1-2 sleeps a day at 15 months. I'm with Stacey - if it ain't broke, don't fix.
Mum to two wee boys
MonicaMouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MonicaMouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 10:25pm
I'm with the other girls. I was still trying for 2 sleeps when Blair was 15 months but he ended up casually dropping his morning one. He can sometimes sleep 2 - 3 hours an afternoon at 2, at 2pm as we have a lateish dinner so we can all eat together (and Daniel often gets a sleep at the same time, so I get me time)

Blair 15/10/2007
Daniel 30/07/2009
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 9:54am
I don't think she sleeps a lot at all, pretty sure the recommended amount (if getting around 12 hours overnight) is 2-3 hours all up so it seems fine to me.

I'd stick with the 2 sleeps until she seems to be ready, which is when she starts pushing out the morning sleep and then it starts interferring with lunchtime etc.

Jack was on 1 sleep by then but for about 3-4 months he would quite often have 2 sleeps every 2-3 days. Even now on a Friday I put him down for 2 sleeps as he doesn't sleep well at DC.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2009 at 10:17pm
Sounds pretty normal to me, so i would leave her be, she will drop a sleep when she is ready.
Caden dropped his morning sleep at about 12 months old, and now he just does one middle of the day sleep, he generally goes down at 11 or 12ish and sleeps anywhere from 2-3 hours or more.

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 10:05am
Shes only sleeping 2 and a half hours combined for her naps - Jake was still sleeping 3-6 hours combined for his 2 naps at that age then 12 hours at night. I'd tell Daycare to butt out TBH!
mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 10:35am
sleeping too much????? what on earth is wrong with that?

Charli-Rose, who's just about 13 months, has 2 days sleep of 1-2 hours each and then goes down at 7 (though lately shes been awake til 8.30) and sleeps til 7 or 7.30 the next day.

To be fair, it is annoying sometimes as it doesn't give us that much time during the day to arrange appointments and errands around, but to be honest I like having two breaks during the day. I do get pressure from a few people (mainly my mother) about dropping it down to one sleep but really if bubs is happy and I on the whole am happy with it, then I don't want to force her into one sleep. It will happen naturally when she's ready too.

Seriously, that's definitely not too much sleep!!!!!

In preschool it can be less convenient for a toddler to have two sleeps but it should be whats right for YOUR baby, not whats fits better for them, so if I were you I would say "No, if she wants two sleeps during the day, then she can have them. i see no need to chage it when she is not ready".

Trust me, Ava will show you when she's ready. One sign is if after her arvo sleep, she stop going down at 7 and insists on being up til 9/10pm. Another is her simply not falling to sleep during one of her sleeps!

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2009 at 11:08am
daycares are good at trying to make you drop down to one sleep!

DS is 22 or 23 months (am too tired to work out which) and he is till having 2 sleeps a day. He sleeps for about 1.5-2 hours at these sleeps and still sleeps for 12 hours at night.

I love it as it gives me time to get sorted in the morning etc

At 13 months he was still having 3 sleeps!

FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2009 at 7:57pm
Why would they want you to drop a sleep - I think thats madness, if she wasn't sleeping all night then maybe but nope sounds all good to me. She'll drop it whens shes good and ready.

I am dreading DS dropping his morning nap, when would I shower/get dressed

][/URL]

Post Reply Post Reply