FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStuttering - a phase??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuttering - a phase??
    Posted: 24 December 2009 at 8:34pm
Hi - I'm just wondering if this is a phase that some kids go thru - Jake has started stuttering over the last week or two. He doesn't do it all the time, but is doing it quite a bit and I never noticed it til the last week or two. Hes always been a great talker (said 36 words by 15 months, two words joined at 16 months, could repeat anything by about 19 months and full conversation well before 2 years.) And he never stops talking!!! I'm assuming its just cos his little brain is thinking faster than he can get the words out now. And trying to be patient and not fill in the words or rush him. But just wondering if any other toddlers went through this?? And will it just come right in time?

Thanks. And merry xmas!!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Sponsored Links

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 9:20pm
Started posting then remembered how much I have forgotten about stuttering!

There's a really good website by START, a stuttering therapy service in Auckland. It has a good page about preschool stuttering and has info about their services (not sure if you're in Auckland but they do a 1 hour assessment for kids under 6 for free).

It certainly isn't uncommon for kids to go through a period of stuttering, but you need an SLT to advise on whether your boy is likely to be one who outgrows it (as many do and no doubt people will share their stories of their children who have outgrown it) or whether it may be more persistent.
Mum to two wee boys
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2009 at 7:18am
Thanks Flissty. Will have a look at the website. I spoke to my sister-in-law yesterday (early childhood teacher) and she said heaps of them go through it and there are two 4 year olds in her centre that are seeing a speech therapist, but apparently they won't take them til 4 years as so many go through a phase as toddlers / preschoolers (where brain is going faster than they can get the words out) ..... so won't worry about it too much for now.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 8:35pm
NIkki - a large percentage of children go through a patch of stuttering... it becomes a concern when it lasts longer than 6 months, there is a family history of stuttering, and/or they are displaying more features than purely repeating syllables, words or phases (i.e. facial grimaces, blocking sounds, prolonging, flapping hands etc). The waitlist for intervention is quite long through the ministry of education so if you continue to have concerns in 3 months I would recommend referring him for an assessment just in case... But it is much more likely these difficulties will spontaneously resolve
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 9:54pm
Thanks freckle. I've had a big read online now, so will wait a little while before doing anything. It seems really common in boys, about 2.5years, who were early / good talkers - so exactly him! Theres no family history, but he does shut his eyes / make a face when he does it some times. It is usually the first syllable or word in the sentence, but some times other words too - but its not happening all the time. I'm hoping it was mainly just because of the excitement of Xmas and too much noise / visitors / late nights etc, as he was much better today (just me him and Morgan at home). He doesn't seem bothered by it, so will just try to not draw his attention to it, and slow down my talking, not rush him etc for now.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 7:57pm

Nikki- just wondering how Jakes stuttering was getting on? In the last few days Ella has just started stuttering- seems to be the first word in the sentence and mainly the letter W (which I never noticed just how many toddler sentences begin with a letter starting with W). Am hoping it's a short lived phase.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2010 at 9:42pm
It got way better then alot worse and now a little better again! Apparently its something they go through as their vocab is expanding rapidly, so can come and go. From everyone I've spoken to, it seems best to wait at least 3 months before doing anything - but to get them assessed if its goes on for 6 months. I'm still pretty worried, although everyone tells me its very normal and not to worry!!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 8:54am

Yeah it is hard not to worry. Its only started in the last day or so, but it is quite annoying (especially when i know she is such a good little talker). Hopefully it's just a matter of her mind going too fast and her words not catching up, but it's weird its just the W letter.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 2:35pm
Yeah I know. Ella was a good / early talker too eh? (i'm sure I remember that from the jun07 thread). I think thats the worst bit - you know they can talk so well and now they're not, and I just feel so bad for him when hes struggling!! And it is d@mn annoying to listen to also! Jakes was only a few things at first then it increased rapidly, got better, then way worse, and is still there but not so bad. I was told not to bring it to his attention if he doesn't seem to notice. And to talk more slowly myself (I talk really fast), and to try to pay more attantion .... but then one of his daycare teachers said sometimes its better not to pay too much attention when hes doing it, as that can make it worse. theres 2 out of the 15-odd in his class at the mo, and she said thats pretty normal for that age group (2-3.5yrs).
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 8:01pm

yeah she was an early talker and is normally pretty good,so it is frustrating. I talk really fast as well, so must remember to slow down a bit. It doesn't seem to bother her, just bothers me more.  I must remember to ask her daycare teacher about next week, as she started doing it staight after daycare so my mum was wondering if one of the kids there started doing it and Ella is just copying (but I don't think she is doing it on purpose).

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:51am
Hi NIkki, I think its a phase as Brae is a great talker & started to stutter when he was about 2 ish. He doesn't anymore. He usually did it when he was extcited & would repeat a word several times before he finished his sentence. I was a little concerned at the time but he outgrew it quickly. Perhaps his brain was trying to figure out what words went next & instead of pausing he would repeat the last word he had said or he liked the sound of certain words & would repeat them.
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

Post Reply Post Reply