FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked20 month old sleep help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20 month old sleep help
    Posted: 18 August 2010 at 6:33pm
DD got quite sick a few weeks ago with an Ear Infection. It mucked up her sleeping habits

She use to go to sleep easy, id put her in her cot & walk out of her room with no troubles.

Now she wants cuddles all the time. She is happy for DP or I to just sit next to her cot so she knows we are there & will go to sleep. If we dont sit with her she will scream & scream & refuse to sleep.

While she had the ear infection she was always falling asleep on me & now i dont know how to get her out of the habit.

Any advice would be good
Sponsored Links

Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 8:07pm
Unfortunately (and I know that lots of people on here don't agree with this) the only way I managed to get Gabrielle out of this was to leave her to cry. She has been sick heaps in the last two months and started to play up at bed time. She would lay awake if I stayed in the room with her but would make herself hysterical crying and screaming if I left the room. As soon as I went in there she would stop but the crying would start again as soon as I tried to leave. If I got her up she would be happy but she could play for hours and not sleep.

After a few nights of struggling heaps to get her to sleep and giving in and letting her sleep in my bed with me (after 3 plus hours of trying to get her to sleep) I got so exhausted by it all that I just left her to it. I put her to bed and told her I would be in to check on her in 10 minutes then I just left the room. She screamed and screamed and I sat in the lounge and waited the 10 minutes, went in and cuddled her till she stopped crying and as soon as she stopped I said it was nigh nighs time and I would be back to check on her and left the room again. I had to repeat the whole process for an hour and a half, and the next night she cried for 20 minutes, but since then no more crying.

Leaving her to cry was tough but I am a single parent and was so exhausted with the business of trying to get her to sleep that I used it as a last resort. It was distressing but worth it.
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 8:45pm
Jack was similar and the way I did it was slowly moved closer to the door. So sit by her cot for 3-5nights, then move to within arms reach for 3-5nights, then closer to the door etc etc. How fast you move through the stages depends on how receptive she is to the change. As she has self settled before it may not be too hard to change.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
Lindsey

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 9:03pm
I have tried to leave her to scream, but its frustrating because she doesnt stop. Then it seems to stress me out more when i do this & i feel i have achieved nothing.

She went down ok tonight, she started to cry. But she hadnt had a day sleep so i knew she was exhausted. She cried for 5 minutes & feel asleep, so will try this again tomorrow & see how we go.
 Post Reply Post Reply