FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGoing into a bed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going into a bed
    Posted: 03 September 2010 at 7:13pm
DD is 20 months now, im starting to think about putting her into a bed because she always bangs her head against the cot. Im going to try hold off as close to 2 as i can, but have a few questions

Do i just start with the mattress on the ground? Or should i put something on the floor incase she falls out?

DO i start her on day naps in there first? or just got straight into a bed?

Do i need a rail?etc

She is little for her age, if she was to fall out of bed it would be a huge fall. She also doesnt have much room for a bed & cot, so if i was to slowly put her into a bed it couldnt really take that long because we would have her cot in the middle of the room.
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2010 at 7:18pm
We set the bed up and put the cot matress on the ground so that if he fell out that would cushion the fall. But its never been needed. We also have 2 pillows that are flat as but we shaped them in an L shape so instead of having a rail he had a pillow to remind him not to roll over.

We also found that just going straight to bed for everything worked best. Having the cot set up caused all sorts of problems for us but I know others that it doesnt.
.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2010 at 7:50pm
We took the legs off the bed and just had the base and mattress on the floor. For about a month we left the cot mattress on the floor and then moved it away.. we've found him on the floor twice.

Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

Caro07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caro07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2010 at 8:08pm
We are currently doing the same as .Mel. My DS is older (2 and a half) but tonight is night 4 - fell out once onto the mattress once and didn't even wake up! Good luck
Caroline, SAHM to 2 boys, S (4 years old) and J (2 years old)
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2010 at 8:38pm
We did the same as Mel. but left the cot mattress on the floor for ages. She never fell out.
We had 2 rooms tho, and were wanting to move her into the bigger room anyway, so she joined it with setting up her "big girl room" and we set up ther bed in there and she went straight into it no problems. We left the cot up in the "old" room for a few days then took it down.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2010 at 9:51pm
We had DD in her bed @ 14 months. I had pillows on the floor for a week or so, she only fell out once.

We took down the cot and put her bed up in the morning so she had two naps before bed time.

Good luck

Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 10:09am
Question: how do you know when it's time to put them in a bed? I'm in no hurry but was just wondering as Mr 16mths wiggles so much in his sleep and sleeps any which way but up! so I can't imagine he would sleep in a bed without falling out 100x a night. Is that something they grow out of??

Edited by Mrs_B
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 8:05pm

when we first moved Ella I put a rolled up towel on the edge of the bed (so that it created a slight slope on the side), after I did that we had no problems (at the start before I did that she fell out of bed a couple of times- she didn't hurt herself and got into some quite funny postions e.g. hat under the bed and legs sticking out),

Mrs B- Ella used to be like that and I couldn't imagine putting her down without a sleeping bag because she would never stay under the covers. She did overgrow it and over summer when it didn't matter so much I tried her with just a duvet cover and then once she had mastered that I took the cot side off and then moved her into a bed. This happened over a period of 4 months.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 9:32pm
We took the side off the cot (it converts into a toddler bed) so no gradual transition. Dan adjusted really well. We have the rolled up towel under the mattress but his change mat and a duvet on the floor. He still falls out but 3/4 of the time will just get back in. For the first few weeks, he had all his day sleeps on the floor and they were short but he has adjusted and now has them in his bed and they're the normal length. He will play quite a bit in his room before climbing into bed and going to sleep but I'm not bothered by that. We put a flat nappy over the top of his bedroom door so he can't open it and escape. He is getting up earlier, but we keep the nappy on the door, put some toys in there and he'll happily play in his room till we get him up (let him out ) at 7ish.

Oh and Mrs_B - we had a wiggler who never used blankets and slept every which way in the cot. Within 2 weeks, he was addicted to blankets, would always pull them up and sleeps under them all night!

Edited by Flissty
Mum to two wee boys
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2010 at 10:39am
Mrs B, the reason im considering putting DD into a bed is because she moves around so much & bangs her head against the cot & that wakes her up.

Another reason is that she never sleeps with blankets, this might no change in a bed but hopefully it will.

She is getting a new bed for Xmas or close to it from my dad, so It will still be about 3-4 months until she goes into one, so she would be closer to 2 yrs
Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2010 at 10:03pm
I have tested a few times with the sides off Arianne's cot and she freaked out about it.

I have a bed for her and she is getting new sheets, duvet, duvet inner etc. Im going to give it to her for her birthday and show her me setting up her big girl bed and take down the cot so hopefully she will understand that big girls sleep in big beds.

Plus I hope the Pooh bear duvet set makes a huge impact hehe.
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 8:35am
Originally posted by AriannesMum AriannesMum wrote:

I have tested a few times with the sides off Arianne's cot and she freaked out about it.

I have a bed for her and she is getting new sheets, duvet, duvet inner etc. Im going to give it to her for her birthday and show her me setting up her big girl bed and take down the cot so hopefully she will understand that big girls sleep in big beds.

Plus I hope the Pooh bear duvet set makes a huge impact hehe.

I think thats what i will do. Awww Taylah has a Pooh duvet too. Its very cool, cant wait to use it
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 4:01pm

LOL about the duvets... that's half of why I was so excited to get my boy out of his cot! 

Reuben (20 months) has just moved from the cot into bed - I just put pillows on the floor next to the bed, and in a week he's only fallen out once.  I took the legs off the bed for now, too.  Ella went into a bed just after she turned 1... with both kids we found that they started sleeping a bit better in a bed rather than the cot, and wiggled about less.  It was handy to know that the cot was still there, made up should we need it at 3am or something, but we never did.  Still, I'd keep it made up if I were doing it again - Murphy's law and all. 

Andie
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 7:59am
Arhhhh well DD got out of her cot last night, i always find her trying to get out but last night, i found her on the top of her cot holding on

Was very scary because she is so little. Might have to look into it a bit faster now.
crafty1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crafty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2010 at 8:51pm
We set the bed up in his room for a couple of weeks and made it up with some cool sheets and duvet etc, had all his toys there. We'd read his story before bed on the bed then pop him in the cot. Then we just said hey do you want to sleep in the big boy bed. He was keen so that was it.

We had a trundler bed so we had that out for a couple of months, he fell out twice i think.

flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2010 at 8:25am
DD is 14/15 months when we moved her. I wanted to do it then so that the cot was spare for DS, it was less change for her when DS was born, and if she really didn't cope we had plenty of time to save for a new cot/try and change her over.

She slept better in a bed, fell out only once, and straight onto a spare mattress we put next to it. I took the mattress away after a week.
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
Stogglebox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stogglebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2010 at 11:16am
Did anyone have problems with their children escaping from their new bed (with no sides) and not wanting to go to sleep?
We recently went to Japan and for most of the time our daughter was sleeping on the floor, and we couldn't just put her in bed and leave her to go to sleep like we usually do - she kept escaping and thinking it was funny! So I am worried that when we buy a bed for her that she will run away!
I suppose in Japan though there were other factors - like that it was sooo hot even at night, and that there was only a curtain between her room and the next (because it was hot) so we couldn't shut her in....so maybe it would be okay....
Mother of Natsumi Sarah born on 23 January 2009
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 8:27pm
We moved DS to a toddler-sized bed at 19 months because I wanted him to be used to it well before we need the cot for DS2.

He seemed to have no problems at all with the transition. It wasn't even a transition really, we just took him out to buy the bed and new linen, he "helped" DH put the bed together and then the following night (after all the new bedding was washed and dried) I put him to bed in the new bed. I put the cot mattress on the floor next to the bed for the first week.

After the first week he realised he could get out and come to the door. He couldn't reach the door handle in his room so we just left him unless he cried and then I would put him back in bed and say "it's bed time, goodnight" and leave. That only happened once. Our bedrooms are upstairs so we also have a stairgate between his door and the end of the hall JIC he did get through the door - he can reach the handle now

My friend's son has been sleeping on a mattress since before he was one and he comes into their room in the night, but seems to be fine at bed time. They don't mind him coming in so haven't done anything about it.

So probably not much help really I think it just depends on the situation and your child. If you usually just put your DD to bed and she goes off to sleep on her own then I would be inclined to say try it with your usual night time routine and hope for the best. That's what we did and it worked really well. We haven't had C in a bed on holiday yet so not sure what he'd be like in another environment. I'm not really looking forward to trying it out either ;)
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 10:37pm
We had sleep issues with my DDs when we took the sides off the cot @ 20 months.
Our solution was to clear the room, velcro blockout material to the window and just shut the door.

It would either take 1 hour for us to settle them or the same time for them to play and then self settle. Now they're 30 months and settle easily at night time in bed beds.

We did a 2 month trip when they were 26 months and that was not fun for settling. They were in a double bed together and in a climate where it doesn't get dark until 10pm
Oh and we were doing alternating weeks at 2 different houses.
 Post Reply Post Reply