FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOverseas trip - advice please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wellygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wellygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overseas trip - advice please!
    Posted: 09 September 2010 at 2:44pm
My DH and I are heading to France next week with our 14 month old DD - VERY excited, but also nervous about the flying, the time difference and the rules around what we can/can't take on board with us. (We are flying via Melbourne to HK, staying a night there, then flying on to Paris.)

Will we be allowed to take (sealed) fruit squeeze packs, water bottles for formula, barrier cream, snacks etc? I've tried googling this stuff but get mixed answers.

Any other travel advice gratefully received! We've never taken her further than Auckland before.
Sponsored Links

gmunster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmunster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2010 at 4:09pm

We were allowed to take barrier cream, and formula in her bottles, even had a full made up bottle or two. they weren't happy with the bottles full of just water though and had to tip that out - but in the 9 hours on the flight in the plane they filled the bottles for us with boiled cooled water for formula make up. Food that was sealed intially as we went onto the plane and opened on the plane had to be left on there, but anything not opened was fine.

I just packed her normal baby nappy bag and food bag with the exception of the water only in the bottles and all seemed to be fine. We did however have to go through the red declare lane at each end though, but the customs people never really questioned anything other than open food.

Hope this helps and have a fab trip!!!!

Ella1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ella1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2010 at 11:06pm
It might depend who you fly with? Check with your airline.

We flew to Europe (via Singapore) in May, when DD was 15 months and I couldn't believe all the stuff they let us take on the plane. Lots and lots of hand luggage, some fruit and small bottle of water. I still had the little tub of sudocrem that I received in the bounty pack, so I put that in a clear zip lock bag with other small fluid bottles.
They seem to be very easygoing when you travel with a baby.
Also it's much easier flying out of NZ than into NZ. On the way back don't forget to chuck all your leftover fruit in the bin upon arrival.

Have a good flight and enjoy your holiday!
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2010 at 10:39am
When we've flown with the kids they've been very relaxed about what we took on - including bottles with water in them ready. I took sachets of formula. And Jake had a drink bottle with water too that I forgot to tip out. Plus I had baby food and snacks.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2010 at 11:18am

OOoh I am so JEALOUS!!! I love Paris!!!

Check with your airline though, they should be able to help. But you should be fine with sealed jars of baby food / squeeze packs etc. When we flew I took sachets of formula for on the plane and an unopened tin in our luggage. Sachets were so handy on the flight! Water is a tricky one, it sometimes depends on who you get on the day. Maybe fill a couple of bottles with 100ml and zip lock them, otherwise they can help on the plane.

kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2010 at 1:24pm
On the plane itself you can take pretty much anything. I still made sure toiletries (eg sudocrem) were in containers <100ml but they never actually LOOKED at anything in the baby bag, we've flown Singapore, Qantas, Jetstar and Tiger internationally.

Personally, I try to make everything easy to get to - eg in ziplock bags etc - just in case someone does decide to be anal about it. I also tell the security people I have food and water for the baby. They have always just waved me through, but the one time they want to check will be the one time you can't get to things easily !

Food wise, Australia is just as strict as NZ with fresh fruit (especially bananas!!) but baby food is fine. We had open packs of crackers and open formula on one trip and they weren't even interested. If you're only stopping over, you won't go through customs anyway. I still wouldn't risk taking fresh fruit though

Hong Kong barely has a customs lane, you won't need to declare anything food wise. I didn't realise this the first time we flew there (when we moved there from NZ) and left a massive stash of lolly cake on the plane. Boo hoo!

Have a GREAT trip!!
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
wellygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wellygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2010 at 12:59pm
Thanks everyone for the tips
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 1:01pm
My advice is not to overpack. We flew to Ireland when my DDs were 11months old and pretty much packed the kitchen sink. Nappy bag, backpack and carryon suitcase. We only used a portion of it.

The last time we flew when they were 2yo we had 1 x nappy bag and the girls had a backpack each with some toys and their teddy.

Free hands is vital I found

We didn't take water on board and just asked the staff to fill up the bottles. I used the formula travel containers which were great as all the portions were premeasured.

I've never gotten stopped with any food I've taken on board when flying long haul (Air NZ, Lufthansa and Singapore Airlines)
JD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 4:11pm
We flew last year with DS who was 18months at the time and it was really tough...!
As far as taking things on board, we had two backpacks, one with baby stuff and one was pretty much food and toys to help entertain.
It does depend on who you get at customs, we had a tub of bum cream that got on most of the flights, but got taken off us as it was over the 100mls I think somewhere else. I took formula sachets which was great and the airline provided the water.
My advise to you would be to discuss what might happen on board before you go and try and come up with some sort of plan between you and DH. Things like if baby doesn't sleep, and what sort of expectations you have. My son is very active and because Dh works full time, he didnt really grasp before we left that he is active ALL day, not just when he sees him, therefore expectations for him to sit still in his seat were way over the top.
At that age it is difficult to explain to them that they have to sit with a seatbelt on when the light comes on etc    Some of the flights have very reasonable flight attendents who would let him play on the floor by our feet and others that were very anal about the "rules".
You can pretty much take packaged food anywhere, but just be sure to declare it so you don't get stung for any fines. You will find its only really Australia and NZ that will care.
We flew Malasian who had quite small bassinets so his feet were hanging over the end which I imagine was rather uncomfortable. They also didn't seem to care that he may have been over the "allowed" weight in the bassenet. Some airlines do have strickt rules for the bassinet usage so you should ask your agent about them.

Dont forget to pack a spare top for yourself incase you get chucked up on or something you are totally unexpecting..

Generally, the airlines are all quite helpful and will try and get you spare seats near you (if they are available) for you to use.

I say, expect the worst and hope for the best. You may be surprised how well your child actually handles the whole thing.
JD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 4:39pm
Oh and I forgot to mention, be prepared for a jet lagged child once you get there. Thankfully my sil was able to look after DS while DH and I had a catch up on sleep from the flight. We had turnes of getting up early in the morning and walking him around the neighbourhood until he got used to the new time zone.

Paris is awesome...you will have a great time, but you will need to approach the whole thing relaxed and flexible now you are travelling with a child

All the best
Stogglebox View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stogglebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2010 at 11:08am
A few thoughts - we recently flew Air NZ to Japan and the bassinet weight limit was 11.8kg, and they checked with us (so obviously wanted to check she wasn't too big).
Take more nappies than you think you will need - you don't want to run out!
A magna doodle type toy was good for our 20 month old....
And don't forget a couple of books to read.
Also a small blanket - can be useful to drape over the bassinet to block out the light if your little one wants to go to sleep. I also had a peg with me on the way back because I had grabbed it to keep a packet of crackers closed, and it turned out to be quite useful - I used it at one stage to attach a blanket above the bassinet! I'm sure there would be other uses too!
When you are on the plane hold onto the warm wet towels they give you before meals (or ask for fresh ones)- they are useful when giving your child snacks, to clean up any messes.
We thought the flight would be really bad, but then it turned out to be not so bad, so perhaps if you think negatively, you will be surprised!
Mother of Natsumi Sarah born on 23 January 2009
ajmmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajmmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 4:28pm
Just did Auckland to oz and back.

Didn't have any problem so long as I declared the formula (they never even checked) and I took a full tin that was sealed in my main baggage as well as a couple of bottles. They just let you take what would be reasonable considering the length of the trip.

If in doubt declare - if you declare and they take it off you no harm done.

Also, I found one tip and used it - asked at check in whether the plane was full and if it wasn't if it was at all possible for them to block out the seat between us so even though I hadn't paid for a seat I got the extra room anyway. Was a god send.

I also took a bottle with a younger nipple on it, like a 3 month old one instead of normal one, so he had to suck harder to get formula on the descent. Helped with the ears and meant he didnt do his 2 min guzzle It wasn't so bad going up, just had to make sure I didn't give him bottle until we actually lifted wheels or it was all gone before they had done the briefing!

Took him ages to get to sleep - but when he did he slept well. On the seat though, no basinet for us!

Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply