FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWinter gardening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter gardening
    Posted: 20 February 2011 at 5:30pm

Ok, so I'm seriously thinking ahead here but I'm wondering what people are planning to grow over winter in terms of veges.  Do you just let your garden sit, or do you plant?

This is really only my second summer of growing more than just the odd pot of spinach and lettuce so I'm keen to get some ideas.

Sponsored Links

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2011 at 8:17pm
We're just starting out too but so far our ambitions are for potatoes and pumpkins, kumara, carrots, beans, brocoli.
_Lou_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Lou_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2011 at 8:54pm
Hey Happymumma, I've planted my garden a couple of weeks ago. I've got cabbages, cauliflower, brocolli, carrots, parsnips, beetroot and beans. I've run out of room now, need to build another garden maybe! Good luck
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2011 at 9:08pm
Ive just sorted another vege garden now just needing ideas to plant too for winter.

I think ill be doing spinach, cabbage, cauliflower, brocolli, leek. I really just want to do veges i know will freeze ok if i need to.

I was doing some reading on growing Kumara, i read it needs to be planted over summer because they will die with frost. Does anyone know if this is the case? It gets quite cold at my place. I wish id known and i would have planted it earlier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 5:52pm

I love kumara but I'm put off by the long growing time!!  I'm at the point where I need to make some space in my garden so might try and do that this weekend.  Then I'm starting to think I'll put in more spinach and silverbeet and try broccoli, cauli, and maybe beetroot.  I'd love to have a great crop of parsnips and carrots but my soil quality probably isn't good enough for that this time round.

Booski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 7:56pm
Where abouts are you happymumma?? We're in Dunedin and after trying to get things to grow last year, we'll be planting lupins instead this time! Wasn't worth the effort fr what we got. But growing up in Whangarei I remember most of the brassicas would grow through winter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 9:13pm

I'm in Wellington so I'm hoping some things will grow.  I haven't had any real success with brassicas before so I'm thinking I'll give it another shot this year and then give up if it doesn't work!!  I'm a pretty lazy gardener though - I'm all for hardy and low maintenance!

SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 10:49am
We have some broccoli, cauliflower, broccolini, broccoflower, brussel sprouts, broad beans, onion, carrot, leeks and cabbage and lettuce that we are doing for over winter. Started with sowing seeds 3 weeks back and doing every week another punnet of mixed stuff so we can stagger it. Did a few rows carrots, onions yesterday.

And oh yeah silverbeet, spinach and beetroot. Go to the gardenate website. It tells you exactly what you need to do and more or less when stuff should go in.

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2011 at 9:40am
Have been thinking its time to get the seeds in ... we will be doing carrots, brocolli, cauliflour, onions and silverbeet. Might try some potatoes and leeks and beans too.

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 9:47pm

I already have kumera and potatoes in pots growing. Spinich is in and growing very well as is the beetroot.

The boys are going to do the seeds soon and we will have the usual winer crops in. I have a greenhouse and in there I am going to have a tomato, zucchini and cucumber grew in there.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
_Lou_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Lou_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2011 at 8:34pm
I'm growing beans and they are going crazy!! Having major issues with caterpillars and my cauliflower and brocolli... not cool!!! Also noticed a cat had been in amongst my little carrots today but I think they have survived.....my beetroot is also doing really well. Parsnips however are not doing so well....
 Post Reply Post Reply