FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhen to drop day time sleep.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When to drop day time sleep.
    Posted: 11 October 2006 at 2:22pm
Ok so I have posted about this before cause it looked like Alan was going to drop his sleep. Well he didn't it was just a faze. However the last few day's he has really been strange he slept for 3 hour's yesterday woke up about 4pm well did not go to sleep till 8.30pm last night and was awake at 6am this morning. So after lunch at midday today I put him down he seemed tired thought I would only let hiim go down for 2 hour's however he has only just gone to sleep now I was planning on getting him up. So anyway I want to konw should I look at cutting his sleep altogether. What age did your child stop having a day sleep.

Edited by Mummy22
Deborah Mum to:

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2006 at 2:26pm
gabriel was at least two i think. and even now at almost three he has been having a nap (cause he is sick). nap times can be very tricky, they get to that stage where they et really grumpy later on when it is too late for a nap and if they sleep too late they are up half the night. i think for a while we were just letting gabriel stay up later and have a nap in the day.

it may be another faze - they go thru a few at this age.

toby is 15 mths old now and now way would i want him to drop his only day sleep - he is asleep now and i am trying to get him to go to sleep without a feed first.

11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2006 at 2:26pm
oh should add he was not crying for hte last 2 hour's just talking to himself.
yeah well I really don't want him to drop it I need this time.

Edited by Mummy22
Deborah Mum to:

linda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2006 at 3:36pm
Harry is three and a half and still has a sleep. Sometimes it is for an hour or in some cases it can be up to three hours. It is all part of the routine and we have no problem with getting him to have a sleep. He goes to creche and it is part of his routine there so that all helps. He usually goes to his bed at 12.30pm, we read a book and then it is sleep time
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2006 at 7:18pm
Hannah is almost 3 and still having a day sleep. However sometimes she isn't all that sleepy so I just put her to bed with two books of her choice. That still gives her (and me!) some time out to settle before the afternoon.

Fortunately for me, she always seems to read herself to sleep but I am hoping to keep some kind of nap time after lunch going for a while if I can - considering I have 2 other littlies and myself to take care of as well!
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2006 at 7:46pm
yeah busymum that is what I am hoping for too. Might try the book thing Alan like's book's ta for that.
Deborah Mum to:

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2006 at 10:28am
Hi Deb!
I wondered about this a lot just before Ben was born, Ella had been really resisting having her nap and I worried if she dropped it when I had a new baby I would get no time out during the day!
I just kept on putting her down at the regular time and figured if she was still calling out in half an hour then I would get her up. 9/10 times she was asleep on the floor surrounded by books when I looked in!
My plunket nurse assures me that it is good for both her and I to have that time out during the day, even if for her it is just 'quiet time'.
The book idea is great for Ella, keeps her busy and is quiet enough that if she's a bit sleepy it can settle her enough to nod off.

I hope he keeps napping for you, I know I would find it very difficult if I didn't get that time each day and I imagine it is the same for you?!

Edited by caraMel
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2006 at 1:13pm
Paris still has a sleep - at daycare it is usuallyno more than an hour - (cos fair enough it's noisy, other kids coming and going in the room next door, and waking and leaving the sleep room too) but at home, she would happily sleep for 3 or 4 hours IF WE LET HER. (that being said, she loves her sleep and gets tired anyway cos of her heart thingie) We started having the same problem with her about this age, so set a limit, doesn't matter what time they get to sleep, even if they have been monkeying around, we wake them. It can take a bit, but they end up getting into a good routine. we have a rule that unless it's extreme special cicumstances (ie, we are going out that night so the extra sleep will do em good) both our girls are woken from their sleeps at 3.30-ish, quarter to 4 at the latest.. meaning they don't oversleep. and mostly, they wake themselves just around 3pm these days.. can tell if paris is having a tired day cos she will just sleep till iwake her, and sometimes i do leave it a bit longer if i feel she needs it, but she always sleeps at night anyway.

so don't feel you have to drop his sleep - it's good to still have a sleep or rest period each day, he is only little and needs it - and really - i bet you need that time too. just adjust things a bit and see how it goes.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2006 at 1:16pm
Andrew still sleeps as he has them at daycare. At home he is sleeping up to 2 1/2 hours but at daycare its usually 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. Andrew has had days of not having an afternoon sleep and has crashed about 6pm and awake very early the next day.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2006 at 1:30pm
yeah we get Paris home some days and she has decided not to go to sleep at daycare, just lie there awake till they get her out to go play, and by the time she get's home that night, she is a real toad, she gets all moody like a hormonal teenage girl and is HARD to handle. I think she takes after me - I need my sleep otherwise i am a nasty piece of work lol..

grr, tried to have a big day sleep today since i have overnight shift tonight and for the next couple of nights and was trying to programme my body into sleeping during the day.. so mike turns up at lunchtime and wakes me up. Fair enough though, he brought me some pizza, so he's forgiven, i just told him he better not do that tomorrow.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2006 at 6:26pm
Maya comes home from daycare in a toad-like state too, but if we let her sleep during the day then she is still up at midnight.

She dropped her day sleep at about 22 mths, but then she was never a big day sleeper, even as a baby she would "snack" sleep in 45 minute blocks rather than have a decent nap.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2006 at 7:43pm
Ella has always been an on again, off again sleeper. She will be great for weeks and then all of a sudden won't sleep for a few days, I think it's teething related. She will wake in the night on the days she doesn't sleep too. She didn't sleep yesterday or today and I'm going a bit crazy.. and every time she does this I think "is this the end???" but she will have a big sleep a few days later to catch up. At the moment I'm making her (haha) watch a dvd for about 40 mins so I can have a break. If I put her in her room she won't stay there and she thinks I'm punishing her..

11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2006 at 8:40pm
Well decided to keep Alan up today to see what would happen we went out to do a bit of shoping. stoped at New World to pick up some tea and what to you know he had fallen asleep at 5pm. So we deffintly know he still need's his day sleep so I am going to be naughty and start putting him down with a bottle at about 2pm see how that work's. I say naughty cause I really don't like the bottle thing I nearlly failed my nanny course over putting a child of Alan's age to bed with one, but hey these are my kid's, what ever work's goes. Right off to bed.
Deborah Mum to:

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2006 at 11:14am
If it works, I say go for it! My mum is the biggest anti-dummy crusader ever, but I have to admit that I have bought one each for the twins *just in case* and will use them if I need to!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2006 at 9:43pm
That is great that he slept for you.. Ella slept today too, phew!

Most people are anti-something before they have a baby.. then you figure out that it's not so bad afterall.. I was anti-dummy with Ella but if/when i have another one I think I'll be buying one.. would be nice not to be the only comforter next time around

11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2006 at 10:07pm
it is funny how you change your mind with thing's once we have the babies.
Deborah Mum to:

Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2006 at 10:50pm
oh to have had the older child still having day sleeps while preg wiv #2. I lucked out as Xander cut his sleeps ( all by himself) at around 19-20 mnths( i was gettin a belly on me so i found it hard to nap even when Xander did).I was gutted as i was SOOOOOO looking 4ward to an afternoon nap when Harms was napping in the arvo..
BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
mum2emj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2emj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 10:11am
my 2.5 year old is really active and she still has a sleep in the morning. around when i was due to have kayla and for a few weeks after she went through a stage where she went a few days without a sleep and the odd day where she would have one. but she is back to being really tired, grizzly and grumpy and very much in need of a sleep again. and her sleeps can sometimes be 3 hours but mostly between 1-2 hours. and she goes to bed late now too, its seems to be a vicious cycle though, if she has a sleep she wont go to bed till late abnd if she doesnt she gets soooooooo grumpy and gets to bed earlier, but i prefer her having a sleep and going to bed later becuase otherwise there is trouble!!!
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2006 at 1:12pm
yeah i am the same rach rather Alan have a sleep and go to bed a bit late then have a grunpy bum for the after noon.
Deborah Mum to:

Post Reply Post Reply