FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnyone had a 2 1/2 year old & a newborn?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone had a 2 1/2 year old & a newborn?
    Posted: 19 September 2011 at 6:19pm
What is that age gap like? I have heard that it is the "worst" in terms of tantrums and general behaviour of the toddler. What are your experiences? Would you recommend or suggest waiting??
Sponsored Links

E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 7:25pm
I'll have a new born and an almost 2 year old in a few weeks, I can let you know how that goes once baby is here. I would think all age gaps have their pros and cons. Plus it would depend on the child.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 7:40pm
Thanks EsmesMum. I have heard 2 is okay, and 3 is okay (but like you said pros and cons) but 2 1/2 is the hardest because they are in between stages?
JessDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 7:43am
I had a newborn when DS1 was about 2.5 year old. DS1 was vile for weeks - tantrums, disrupted sleep (waking calling out for attention at all hours). Ignored baby. He's still not perfect but getting used to baby and understands that baby needs feeding and my attention. When DS2 is in bed, we'll have special time so DS2 is very handy at helping me put baby to bed! He'll give baby a kiss on the head now (but wipe his mouth after) - that's progress!

Not all kids will be like this. I observed that DS1 doesn't have the vocab to adequately express himself yet, hence the frustrated tantrums. But he's also at a good age where he entertains himself, will fetch things for me, help change baby's nappy so not that bad an age difference really.

I've heard that 18 months is the worst gap because the older child still needs so much supervision and attention themselves. Physically demanding.

MuppetsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MuppetsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 7:50am
That was me exactly, almost down to the day.

They have got on beautifully - DD1 is loving, caring and helpful with her little sister and they delight in eachother :)

(we do however have very well behaved children generally, right from birth)
mum2ollie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 10:43am
My son is two year two months and I have a 10 week old. Honestly it's mostly a nightmare. DS1 is moody and horrible. He has such huge tantrums he is TRASHING his room, destroying his toys and screaming for no reason. DS2 has horrible reflux and screams the house down often. Not much peace and a lot of stress in this camp.
Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 11:51am
My daughter was 2 years 4 months when I had my second and she was fine. She never really got jealous or anything and was very patient and careful with the baby. I think it really depends on the child.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 2:07pm
MumtoOllie, that doesn't sound like much fun! Hope you are doing okay. Big hugs.
mum2ollie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 2:27pm
I wrote that just after getting back from taking the two kids out to do some errands and Oliver spent the entire time having one enormous tantrum so that probably wasn't very fair of me to write that lol
Oliver does constantly have tantrums and trash his room like there is no tomorrow but I have become very good at paying him no attention when he is like that and he seems to be getting a bit better. He is very loving towards Emmett I must add. He just adores Emmett and same goes for Emmett towards Oliver. They have their moments but everyday without fail they will both do something that reinforces how much I love them and I instantly forget how horrible Oliver has been or how much Emmett has screamed and how little he has slept...
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 4:14pm
We had 3.3yrs and the first 6 weeks was hell- but its got better and better and been awesome for ages no.
Im pretty sure what the others have said is tru- depends on the child, no matter what the age gap. I thought having a bigger age gap that most people I know, DD would be sweet and it would be easier than it was for my firend with smaller gaps, but I did find it tough at the beginning and so did DD- its such a huge change in their lives- jlike it was when we first had #1!
catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 4:23pm
DD1 was 2 years 7 months. She has taken to it much better than i expected.

We got DD1 a new doll and gaveit to her for her first hospital visit to see me and DD2. She copied everything i did for DD1 with this new doll e.g. feeding/bathing/dressing.

The only real change was a positive one for us - DD1 was never very cuddly but now she sees DD2 having lots of cuddles with me and DH she always want to cuddle up and sit on our laps.

She does get bouts of jealously occasionally - if DD2 is having a bit of a melt down you can almost guarantee that DD1 will have some mini crisis that demands attention!

Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 7:39pm

DD was 2 years 9 months when DS was born and I love the age gap. It probably helped that she was obsessed with babies and was absolutely over the moon to have a baby brother, so we didn't really have any issues.

It would definitely depend on the child- I loved it that DD could do a lot of things for herself and could help get herself ready when we had to go out etc.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 8:12pm
Jude turned two last month and far out I am glad I had Willem 7 months ago and don't have a newborn right now!

Seriously, is there a switch that flicks when they turn two? Jude just seems to have so much more energy at the moment. Lol. And by energy I mean tantrums and being naughty.

But they are still good (and I'm glad that Jude still has a nap during the day - sometimes I even manage to coordinate the two! How crazy is that!). Jude still loves his little brother, and still listens to me (.....eventually) and he is also much happier being entertained by the TV and iPod these days which he would have a bar of 7 months ago (I know, I know, bad parenting right [;p]). So I imagine having another baby right now or in a few months time wouldn't be too bad and would have it's pro's (like being a little more independent) as well as cons.

Funny that you have heard that 18months is the worst gap JessDub. There was 17months between J and W and I love it. Different people, different babies, different experiences I guess.

Edited by Delli

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 9:54pm
I had exactly 2 years between mine and while it was hard some days for the most part DS was fine with DD's arrival. But he was a lovely 2yr old and is very compliant. In my experience from people I know, the smaller the gap the harder it seems to be. I think 2.5yrs would have been alot easier as DS was way more independent 6 months after DD was born just being that little bit older. And over 3yrs seems like a breeze compared to 2yrs or less. (My niece was so helpful when her sister arrived 3.5yrs later and they are in kindy or cheaper daycare by 3 too so you get a break from the older child).

It does depend a bit on the kids of course though ... DD would have been a NIGHTMARE if I'd had a newborn the week she turned 2!! but a few months later (now) she is alot better. so yeah - I think 2.5 is the perfect gap as they will still be close in age as they grow up (my two are so close now with just 2yrs between them).
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
TansP View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TansP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 10:15pm
DS has just turned 3 but was 2yrs 7mths when DD was born. DD suffered from reflux so was very high maintenance for the first 8 weeks. Hubby had to go back to work after 2 weeks. He is a baker and works evenings (2pm-midnight). DS handled having a new baby in the house amazingly well! Although some of his usual routines were a bit more rushed than usual, he adjusted to the extra person without too much fuss. He did make a couple of comments about sending his sister to Nan nans house but he loves her to pieces and she hangs on every bit of attention he gives.
Now that DD is older and into a routine DS now gets his one on one bath,story and bed time back. My mum always reminds me that he is still so little himself. It's easy to expect so much from them when you know they can understand you. My advise would be - be patient and calm. I love the age gap and wouldn't change it.

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 8:14am
Theres a 2y8m20day age gap between my two lol and TBH it was perfect. DS1 adored DS2 from the get-go, we've never had any jealousy issues, DS2 had feeding issues so needed alot of attention but DS1 was cruisy as. I think its an awesome age gap
chelles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chelles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 9:29am
We have that age gap, DD1 was 2.5yrs when I had DD2. She was so excited to be getting a baby sister, but when bubs arrived and DD1 saw that a lot of my attention was taken away from her it caused a bit of jealousy. Now they are older it is so sweet to see how much they love each other and can play together. I also think it depends on the child because I have friends who have the same age gap and never had any problems.
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 1:25pm
We have a 2.5yr gap exactly and i love it!!!

The first 4 weeks were the hardest. But there were a number of reasons i think. I had a c section so couldnt pick dd up, DP was home for 2 weeks so that put her routine out. There were tantrums and general naughtiness but i think thats more her age than having a new sibling.

After DP went back to work and i got us all in a routine things are definitely alot better. DD loves her brother so much, she is so gentle and kind to him. Loves singing to him etc. I can leave them alone together but not for long. Just a quick toilet stop etc and only when DD is busy doing something otherwise i dont risk it.

I have caught DD trying to get into DS bassinet a few times so she has been told off for that. But apart from that we havent had any other issues

DD was also a mummies girl, always attached to me. Since DS arrived she is alot better with DP. He puts her to bed, baths her everynight now without any problems. I use to always get 'no i want mummy to do it' ;)
newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 3:07pm
We had a 2.5 year age gap and love it.
It works really well in our family. My two boys love each other so much.
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2011 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by _SMS_ _SMS_ wrote:

DD loves her brother so much, she is so gentle and kind to him. Loves singing to him etc. I can leave them alone together but not for long. Just a quick toilet stop etc and only when DD is busy doing something otherwise i dont risk it.

Hahaha that reminded me that yeah I couldn't leave the boys alone together because DS2 would be laying on a blanket on the floor right and I'd go out to do something then come back in and he'd have disappeared (talk about a heart attack the first time it happened!!!) because DS1 would have grabbed the ends of the blanket and hauled his brother off down the hallway to the playroom to shove all his favourite toys in his face and try to get him to play
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>