FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEczema Help - 15 m.o.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
09_mrs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 09_mrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eczema Help - 15 m.o.
    Posted: 07 November 2011 at 2:59pm
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone out there has some helpful advice for me. My DS is 15 months old and is recovering from Hand, Foot and Mouth Virus. Now he has come out in eczema which is worse behind knees, and inside elbows and is also all over his tummy.

I know that food allergies can often cause eczema, but if he did have an allergy the eczema would have turned up before now wouldn't it?

We have also just shifted him into a single bed, it's a hand me down from my Mum though so the mattress is old. I guess that could be another source, if he is allergic to dust mites etc. I've ordered some dust mite mattress protectors so I guess time will tell if they make that difference or not.

So just wondering if anyone else had eczema turn up in their child at this age. He had nappy rash as a bub so I guess you could say he has always had sensitive skin.

We use ecostore washing powder, have stopped putting anything in the bath water and I'm just using an olive oil, bees wax and calendula cream on it at the moment.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by 09_mrs
Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2011 at 5:08pm
Have u been to the dr? Are u sure its ezcema?
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2011 at 6:34pm
It would pin point to me that it'll be the bed & dust mites possibly?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2011 at 6:35pm
And if he's reacted like that I'd ask your GP to refer you for skin prick tests.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
jjands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2011 at 8:31pm
If it is eczema try QV body lotion, expensive but fabulous. The trick is to keeping the skin moist so apply every few hours. Also a steriod cream from the GP is helpful to get it under control.
I agree about the mattress though!
Personally I found eco store washing powder affected DDs skin I use one from countdown (can't remember the name!!) it's a liquid in a blue bottle...starts with A. And double rinse.
Hope you get it sorted ASAP!
hils10 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hils10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 9:16am
Emulsifying ointment (in a white tub from the chemist) is great for excema - stick a spoonful in the bathwater to make a nice moisturising bath and don't use soap. My DD has mild excema that comes and goes, and when she has it this keeps it under control and makes her skin nice and moisturised.

Our Dr (and also the hosp. paediatrician) has said its not worth getting allergy tests for mild excema as its really difficult to pinpoint the cause, and it usually doesn't bother them. Our DD's excema went away at about 14 months but has just come back over the last few weeks for no apparent reason. We're thinking it could be strawberries, or just the warmer weather.

If you do go to the Dr you can get emulsifying ointment and steriod cream on prescription, so its probably worth getting it checked out.
09_mrs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 09_mrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 2:27pm
Hi Guys (or gals rather), thanks for your replies.

Booked in to see the Dr tomorrow so will hopefully get a proper diagnosis and some cream if need be. Hils10, I was also wondering about strawberries too because that's the only new food he has had in the last few weeks.

We've had the bed for a little over a week so I guess that is long enough for dust mites to annoy you.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 8:44pm
Strawberries is what Im guessing has majorly flared up DS's eczema, and Ive suddenly got patches on the inside of my elbows, which Ive only had a few times as an adult which Im guessing is from the large ammounts of strawberries we've been eating too!
Flossie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flossie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2011 at 3:17pm

ahhh strawberries - I had wondered why Belles eczema had flared up now I know shes been eating strawberries!!!! Shame as she loves them!

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2011 at 9:59pm
Could be scabies...
09_mrs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 09_mrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2011 at 2:11pm
Well we went to the Dr's and they didn't think it was eczema, just an allergy of some sorts, probably from the bed. So we are sorted with a new mattress and dust mite protectors to see if that sorts it out.

It's not getting any worse, but is spreading to his legs, bum etc. And he is not really itching it, the odd time but it's not really annoying him.

Back to the Dr's again on Tuesday so will see what they say then. I will quiz them about scabies, thanks for that suggestion High9.
 Post Reply Post Reply