FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRunning off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running off
    Posted: 05 March 2012 at 5:39pm
DD has always been a runner. She got better when DS was born and started listening more and behaving walking with me etc.

However its gone bad fast. The past 2 weeks she has been taking off alot. When out she just walks off or ahead of me. I tell her to stop but get no reaction at all. She just doesnt listen. Ive tried explaining the dangers and why she shouldnt do it and i just get back chat. Its doing my head i just dont know how to handle anymore.

She also tries to get out of the house, climb the fence, climbing out windows its always something.

Does anyone else have a toddler like this. Any ideas what i can do?
Sponsored Links

Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2012 at 7:43pm
My DD is like this too. She went through a major stage of just running off at the shops and/or hiding from me plus she 'escaped' from the house regularly. In the end with running away from home I got a deadbolt on the front door, padlocked the back gate, put baby gates up, stays on the windows etc. The house is locked up tighter than Fort Knox now and she only gets out if I am slack enough to forget to deadbolt the front door or padlock the front gate. She doesn't seem to do it to be naughty she just likes to be out on the street watching the other kids and seeing what's happening.

Re the running off in shops, I give her 3 choices - I'll take the stroller and she has to stay in it the whole time, she can be harnessed to me (I did have a proper harness that went over her chest when she was little, now its just a hand strap), or she can walk nicely next to me and if there is clear pavement she can run ahead to a certain point then turn and run back. If she refuses to come back then we leave. More often than not she chooses to walk nicely and then runs and comes back when I say she can. Unfortunately I am now that mother who lets her kid run in the shopping mall and in empty isles in shops but its kind of a compromise - she walks nicely when I ask and then gets to run and comes back when I say she can.

Hope that helps.
squoggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squoggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 1:17pm
I know it wont work with all kids, but this was quite effective with our 20mo. She kept running away from me, and when I caught up, or tried to put her in the pram, would have a huge meltdown. Now if she starts to run, I just say 'bye' turn my back and walk off...always nervous in case she calls my bluff...but she freaks that I am going to leave her. When she comes running back to try and catch up with me, i explain she MUST hold my hand or the pram. If she tries it again, all I have to do is say 'bye' and she is pretty good after that.

escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 10:49pm
Yup, my toddler is a runner too!

She would unlock the door and bolt out the door and once escaped while I was in bed and DF was downstairs with her. He was on his PC gaming, with headphones on and didn't notice her sneak past him. She got outside(it this was at like 9pm) and was across our street(though it is a cul-de-sac and safe) and was at the playground on our street, chasing our cats!

Naturally, I installed one of those locks up the top of range slider a.s.a.p! Since DF didn't seem to have any inclination to do that. Grr! As she'd escaped before, several times, but we'd always caught her before she got near the street.

She bolts whenever I give her freedom. And like your DD, she doesn't listen to me either. She in fact laughs and while running away, giggles and says "run, run, run" while running away!

I have safety latches on all our upstairs windows and a stair gate(which thankfully she can't open...yet)

I generally put her in the pram if we are out and about. As EVERY TIME I give her freedom, she totally runs with it!

Oh, yeah and the 'bye' trick doesn't work on my cheeky monkey either.

My only advice is, try find as many ways as possible to keep your little runner safe at home and out and about.

Post Reply Post Reply