FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEwwwww yuck Help!!! is this even possible

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ewwwww yuck Help!!! is this even possible
    Posted: 18 July 2007 at 8:57am
Ok so Mikey who will be one next month has Knit's all through his hair i just found them it is so grose I suspect he got them from daycare . I did not know babies even got them.   Alan has not got any I assume it is only time till he does what I want to know is I am guessing the harsh shampoo's etc is not going to be good to use on a baby so what should I use anyone got any natural idea's.  I know i need to wash all his bedding etc which I have only just did 2 day's ago.  Eww I am so grossed out now my head in itchy.   rgh please I need advice.  I hate Knit's only got them twice as a kid.

Edited by loadsofkids
Deborah Mum to:

Sponsored Links

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 9:02am
have a talk to the chemist as to what you can use, am sure they make things that are mild enough for wee ones to use, my older sister had a prob with her girl getting them alot at school, so once she got rid of them she started using a spray bottle with water and a little tea-tree oil in it to wet her daughters hair each day when she did it, it did the trick really well.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 9:05am
oh ta I am so grossed out it is jsut yuck will be going in to tell daycare today.  I am not impressed.  Silly question tho is nit's like flea's.  I know our cat has flea's could he have got them of her maybe before i go in and blame daycare.
Deborah Mum to:

nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 9:05am
Abby got them when she was a baby (thank you niece). Most shampoos are no good under 2 so I waited until she went down for her morning sleep and as gross as it sounds I picked them all out and then scraped the eggs out with my nails.

I then checked her hair everyday for two weeks to make sure I had got them all. I have done this with the boys as they have had them twice, as I don't like the chemicals in the nit shampoos.

You could got to the chemist there are a few natural remedy's out now that have no chemicals but not sure on the age, plus they can't get it in their eyes or it has to stay on for a while.

Also Tea tree oil and shampoos are a good deterrent for headlice they hate it.

Good luck!!!

P.S On humans fleas tend to bite and then run, so the chances are they are headlice, sorry

Edited by nuttymama
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 9:19am
What are headlice?

Headlice live, eat and breed on the hair and skin of the human scalp. They are small, wingless insects, about 2 to 3mm in length. Headlice cannot jump, fly or swim but get around the scalp by moving from hair to hair with strong claws. Healthy headlice can be very difficult to see on the scalp.

Female lice lay about seven to 10 eggs (nits) every night. Eggs are laid close to their food supply - the scalp. The eggs, which are small whitish flecks, are often seen behind the ears and on the forehead. They are attached firmly to the hair and are very hard to remove. Eggs hatch about nine days after being laid.
How are headlice spread?

Because they cannot fly or jump, headlice are spread by close contact with another person's hair or head. This can be done by sitting or lying next to a person with headlice or using the same hairbrush, comb or hat. Headlice are not associated with a lack of cleanliness.
What are the symptoms and how is it diagnosed?

What are head lice?
Head lice are tiny parasitic insects that generally live on the scalp, where they hide in the hair, feed on blood, lay their eggs — and often cause severe itching. They're most common in school-age children. It's rare for a baby to have lice.

An infestation of head lice, called pediculosis, can be hard to get rid of, but lice are more a nuisance than a real health problem.

How will I know if my baby has head lice?
A daycare provider may call with the bad news. Or you may notice that your baby's frequently scratching or rubbing his scalp, particularly around the back of his head or ears.

But head lice don't always cause itching, especially in the beginning, so your first hint may be the telltale lice eggs, called nits, in your baby's hair. Nits are tiny and pearly white, and they tend to stick to the hair shaft — unlike lint or the flakes from cradle cap, which brush out easily.

It can be hard to identify nits and lice and to tell whether an infestation is active: Nits are about the size of a knot in thread and lice are about the size of a sesame seed. If you're not sure about what you see, have your baby checked by his doctor.

Many daycare facilities have a "no nits" policy that requires children to stay home until the nits are gone.

How did my baby get lice?
Your little one may have picked them up from an infected sibling or at daycare. Lice are crawling insects, so they can't hop, jump, or fly, but they can travel from one head to another by direct contact. Off the scalp, they live for a day or two and can be passed along when people share pillows, hats, and so on.

It's a myth that lice are a product of poor hygiene or poverty. Head lice are remarkably egalitarian and can flourish in even the wealthiest communities.

How do I get rid of lice?
Because lice can travel from one head to another, getting rid of the bugs and nits right away can keep them from spreading to other children and family members. But eliminating lice isn't always easy.

Lice-killing shampoos, called pediculicides, might sound convenient, but they're not safe for babies or toddlers and probably not very effective, either. Even on older children the use of these shampoos is controversial.

Many parents and experts say lice have become resistant to the products. And some parents are uncomfortable with the idea of putting pesticides on their child's scalp and hair.

The best way to get rid of the critters, is also the most basic: by removing the lice and nits manually. Here's how:

• Use your fingers, or a nit comb if your baby has enough hair to warrant it.

• Work in a well-lighted area to make the nits and lice easier to spot. Some parents say the best place is outdoors in the sunlight, weather permitting. A strong pair of nonprescription reading glasses, available at most drugstores, can be an invaluable tool.

• Divide hair into sections with clips and go through it section by section. Have a container of hot, soapy water next to you and use it to clean the nits and lice off the comb frequently.

• Some parents report that using oil on the hair makes it easier to comb out the nits, while others say it makes the nits harder to see.

• Nits more than half an inch from the scalp are usually empty shells that don't need to be removed — but you'll probably want to get rid of them anyway.

• Continue to check your baby's scalp thoroughly and use your fingers or a nit comb to remove any lice and nits every three or four days for several weeks.

• Check all other family members (adults and kids) for lice and nits as well, and follow the same removal procedure as soon as you spot trouble. There's no need to treat pets, because human lice don't live on animals.

Parents have tried various other remedies with mixed success. Some say they've gotten rid of the pests by covering their child's hair with vegetable oil or mayonnaise for several hours, then washing it out thoroughly. This seems to suffocate the lice, preventing them from laying more eggs.

Be very cautious about using any home remedies on your baby. If you're in doubt, ask your baby's doctor what she thinks.

What do I need to do to get rid of lice in the household?
Fortunately, lice survive without a human host for only a day or two. The nits take a week to ten days to hatch, though, so to play it safe, follow these guidelines:

1. Machine wash in hot water all the clothing and bed linens your baby came in contact with during the two days before treatment began. Put these items in the dryer on a high setting for at least 20 minutes.

3. Soak combs and brushes in rubbing alcohol for an hour, or wash them with soap and hot water.

4. Vacuum the floor, furniture, and car interior, including your baby's car seat. Don't use insecticidal sprays, which can be toxic if inhaled.

Edited by nuttymama
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 9:28am
I heard on Good Morning to get a bottle of cheap conditioner and cover the head with it and leave it in for a good amount tim e(as long as you can) that should kill alot of them.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 9:46am
when toby was a baby he got nits too...

you need a nit comb - from the chemist

some oil - olive oil will do or baby oil

some ti tree oil.

you mix up the oil with some ti tree oil (a couple of drops) and rub it all in and leave it for a bit, couple of hours is ok and even during his nap if you dont mind washing his linen...

then before you wash it out you get your nit comb and comb them out...

then i get a little pump bottle of water with some ti tree oil in it too and spray the kids hair then run the comb thru - i did this for about a week after to make sure i got all the eggs.

they dont like ti tree oil and the olive or baby oil makes it slippery and they cant hold on.

its not nice but at least when they are little and dont have much hair you can see them easily.       
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 9:59am

Originally posted by GandT GandT wrote:

its not nice but at least when they are little and dont have much hair you can see them easily.       

Loving your idea except Mikey doesa have a good amount of hair going to have to cut all his lovely curl's out not happy.

Deborah Mum to:

MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2007 at 3:23pm
when i was hairdressing we used ot recomend teatree oil.
it works real well also the cheap conditioner works to and use the fine nit comb.
so long as the eggs break and the headlice move away form the scalp it should prevent more and the eggs hatching.
maybe mention to your daycare so they can do a check on all the kids there, im suprised they dont check the kids??
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 6:58am

Thankyou so much ladies we got a script form the doc, but the stuff needes to left in there was too long for my liking so I went the a chemist and got m=soem Mr nit's will lwt you know how they get on.

Hayleighmum they do check them a daycare  they are really good there too.

Deborah Mum to:

AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2007 at 10:31am
its a privatcy thing why most school and daycares are not allowed to 'ban' kids with nits.. all this politically correct garbage..

Nead soap from tradeaid is been reconmended to me - I have some but not used it yet. Its all natural and none chemical. i think its like $3 A Bar??

ETA: silly me its 'NEEM' soap.

Edited by AnnC
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
 Post Reply Post Reply