FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy Daughter Wont Stay in Her Bed!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mummy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Daughter Wont Stay in Her Bed!
    Posted: 14 September 2009 at 9:54am

Any suggestions?

My 22mth old daughter has always been a great sleeper.  In June she got quite sick and ended up in hospital for a couple of days.  Since then she will not stay in her bed and is getting up on average 4 times a night.  She comes into our room and we have been taking her back to her bed.  It doesn't take long for her to go back to sleep but it is wearing her father and I out.  We are also expecting baby number 2 in 3mths so want to get it sorted!

When we put her to bed during the day and at night we now have to stay with her until she is asleep which will be very hard with another baby.  If we don't do this she just keeps getting out of bed again and again and again!

HELP!

Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 10:26am
Do you leave the door open or is it shut? If its open shut it.

If she can open the door herself put a lock on it on the outside, or a kiddy lock or what we have done is dismantle the door handle so it can only be opened from the outside (but the door handle is in his walldrobe in case its needed cause he locks us in there lol).

Some people might see it as mean but we shut the door and leave him to it. He has worked out its nicer to sleep in bed than on the floor. Its better for everyone for our boy to know that basically between 7pm - 7am, he has to stay in his room and be in bed.
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 11:28am
Personally I wouldn't lock her in her room but then everyone is different. In your situation it could cause more problems like separation anxiety.

From her time in hospital she has assciated you with going to sleep. Personally I would try a slow withdrawl method. Maybe move closer to the door over several days/weeks. This is similar to methods in "No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers" and "Sleeping like a baby" which you should be able to get from your library. We have used both books and really like them.

We had the same issue with Jack (minus the hospital) before Ben was born so I sympathise. We got him self settling a few months prior but when Ben was born it went backwards again. This could have been due to Ben or the stage that Jack is up to. So just be warned that this may happen to you once baby is born.

Good luck!
Lindsey

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 11:41am
We shut DS's door when he sleeps that way he can't get out to come and wake us. We both usually wake when he does but it gives him a chance to settle himself.

I am guessing that she needs to learn to resettle her self again - so I would be withdrawing from sitting with her to get her to sleep. Try the creep method (where you gardually creep out of the room) or CC.

mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 1:48pm
I have to shut the door to Sam's bedroom too as he was frequently getting out of bed.   At the moment I just leave the door shut until I go to bed and then leave it open for the rest of the night.

He has stopped doing it now and sleeps through the night but he was waking at odd times and coming into my bedroom just to chat to me for a little while and it was wearing me out (being pregnant too) so I had to just put him back into bed without talking to him, without turning on lights and shutting the door.     It took a few days but he learnt pretty quickly that coming into my room was boring and he might as well stay in bed.

For the initial bedtime, I agree with Linzy about the slow withdrawal method.   Occasionally Sam gets upset if I leave the room when I put him to bed so I spend a few minutes lying next to him talking, then I sit next to the bed, then I move closer and closer to the door.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 5:17pm
I would put her back in a cot.

wouldnt trust Issy with the door closed, she would probably wreck havoc.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 7:22pm
With Harry, we just keep putting him back to bed again and again. At first 'it's bedtime, time to sleep', then 'bedtime', then say nothing and just return him silently every single time.

If this goes on too many times, we also tell him that we will shut the door if he gets out of bed again. We shut it only for a few seconds (5-10 secs) and he has a little cry, then we open up the door and put him back in bed. So he doesn't go to sleep with the door shut, it just reminds him that he needs to stay in bed.

ETA:
Oh I forgot to add that we also do a lot of talking in the time leading up to bed time - 'we'll have a shower, then pjs, then bottle and then bed for a sleep'. I turn all the lights off and sit on the end of the bed as he drinks his bottle. Then we say prayers, I give him a kiss and walk out. So if he does seem unsettled, I do spend longer sitting there quietly next to him.

Edited by arohanui
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 7:57pm
Yeah I would also just put her back in a cot, she is still quite young, or try the slowly leaving approach.
Another thing I have done with Spencer for his afternoon nap is to pop him in bed and tell him I will back to check, then leave and pop straight back in, tell him again I will back to check and go for 10 secs then come back in, then 30, then 1min, 2min and so on, until when I pop in he is pretty much asleep. Not sure if that would have worked at 22 months though as they need to be able to understand to stay till you come back. I found with this it gave him enough time to wind down and settle in to go to sleep. Have also sat next to his bed not looking at him until he has settled down but not actually gone to sleep, so me being there is more just to keep him in bed long enough to calm down and lie down and then once he has he will settle himself. (I've only tried these with him being hyped up and overly tired, not sure how they would go in the middle of the night)

Spencer sleeps with his door shut to stop the cats from going in his room, Kyle has his door shut too for this reason. However Spencer can just get out of bed and open his door, he never has though when he's woken up in the morning or from his nap, he just stays in bed and calls me, no idea why he doesn't just come out.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2009 at 8:18pm
We do the same a s Kebekat, dd went into her bed @ 13 mnths and after the first week if she got out of bed she would just end up falling asleep on the floor and has figured out its better to stay in bed.
Are you able to just shut the door ? Usually it will take them a couple of nights and she will get out of the habit.
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 2:09pm
I'm surprised to read that people don't shut the door! I never considered leaving it open --- we have cats that would be in there, and it would be noisier an light would go in when we had the hall light on .... I think its much ncier to sleep in a dark quiet room, so have always shut it. Jake is in a sleeping bag which probably means hes less mobile, so you could try that ---- or back in the cot like others have suggested. Jake is like Spencer - even though he could get out and open the door - he just lies there and yells when hes awake (like he did in the cot).

With the self settling - I would just leave them to it myself, but I know lots of people find going in and out checking on them less stressful (which I do with Morgan, but shes alot younger)
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
bex88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bex88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 9:21pm
I have to say close the door, for your own sanity.... When we took the side off DS cot I was dead set against doing it but after 3 weeks of putting him back constantly for well over and hour (counted 250times one night), I was exhausted, and closed the door (we had to lock it to begin with as he can open it. The first night he cried for 10 min, and for the next 3 nights he ryed a little bit, now we just close the door, no locks and he stays in. If he wakes in the night he can open the door and come to see us.

Looking back now I wish I had done this to begin with.
Good luck with whatever you decide, maybe even a combination of things could help.
SmileyMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileyMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 1:56pm
Oh my goodness, I am going through this right now with my son! He was an amazing sleeper in his cot. Slept 12-13hrs without us in the room, now he is in a bed he wants us there! We have tried shutting door, he wrecks his room and doesn't sleep for hours. We did the slow withdrawl and now we are in the hallway - hopefully this doesn't last for long though because it is cold sometimes. I think you have to do what is right for your family.
 Post Reply Post Reply