FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDinner - leave alone or watch?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dinner - leave alone or watch?
    Posted: 15 September 2009 at 3:25pm

My wee fella has his tea quite early - some days at about 4.30 (if he is really grizzly), and as DH often doesnt get home until later we dont often eat together. My dliemma is that when Oli is eating his tea in his high chair - I dont know whether I should be sitting with him and encouraging him or leaving him alone to get on with it. He is going through a phase of throwing his food around, which is really frustrating but I am not sure whether me sitting with him will make any difference or not. I dont ignore him, but I often use the time to get our tea organised and get washing in etc. He doesnt seem to like the "pressure" of me watching him eat!

What do you do with your toddlers?

Sponsored Links

AzzaNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzzaNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 3:42pm
I put Belle's food on her table and either eat mine at the same time or I'm in and out while she eats and I do chores.

I try not to make a fuss over her eating because she's picked up that its something she has power over and then she refuses to eat altogether. I wont give her something else to eat instead unless there's really something wrong with the food (like when I gave her a curry that was too hot for her for example)

http://intermittentblogger.wordpress.com
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 4:09pm
Daniel goes in his high chair with is food, I sit next to him and eat mine or just sit there and pay no particular attention to him, or that he notices anyway. If people watch him hes not keen on eating. If he eats "enough" then he gets yoghurt for dessert. If he doesn't (unless hes sick) then he gets down without dessert. I always try to sit down beside him though
Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 4:40pm
I often eat with Livvy as DP doesn't get home until 6.30-7pm. He has his cold when he gets home. When I'm not eating with her I still try to sit with her but we just 'talk' casually, not about the food. I pretty much just leave her to it because like the others, the bigger the deal I make of it, the more she resists and refuses to eat.

We want to eat dinner together as a family but it doesn't always work like that so the best I can do is sit at the table with her.
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 5:34pm
I try to eat with my girl's... if DP is late home he eats on his own... DD2 really doesn't mind if I talk about her eating or not... she loves eating so much it wouldn't stop her lol... esp if we're having peas Every now and then when there is lots to do I leave them to eat alone...
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 6:55pm
It depends on what Elias is doing to be honest ..

But Isabelle is quite happy to sit at her table and eat by herself .. today she just asked for more and I went and topped up her plate, then when she had finished she bought the plate to me and said finished mumma, wash hands.

Its easier when Im trying to feed or settle Elias if she sits at her table than in her highchair as she obviously cant get out of her highchair so she gets frustrated if she drops something and cant get it (well without doing some acrobatic manouvers)

In the mornings when I need to get her somewhere I do tend to put her in a highchair and feed her, its much quicker
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 7:01pm
We sit and eat together, Spencer is going through a stage of not wanting to do his spoon/fork himself and wants me to load it up and then him to put it in his mouth. Generally we eat about 5.30ish now so I don't mind eating at that time. When DH is here then sometimes we feed the boys then we get take out and have it after they have gone to bed, but one or both of us will still sit at the table with them. Mostly Spencer and Kyle eat together as well but sometimes Kyle is having his late afternoon meltdown and misses dinner. They sit together for breakfast and lunch though and again either me or DH is sitting with them. Sometimes at lunch, cos the boys tend to have finger food for lunch, then I will eat mine then leave them to it whilst I tidy up the dining room and kitchen. House is open plan so still right there if they need a hand with something.

Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 7:30pm
we eat together - this is important to us and her behaviour at table is pretty good. She also sits in group at daycare so is used to having people around her when she is eating...
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 8:58pm
We eat together as a family at 5.30. It took a bit of getting used to but DH and I made the decision to do so when Tom was 11 months. He eats the same as us and one of us is with him at most meals. If we werent he would get down, run around etc. He definitely eats much better with us. I'm also getting him to set the table and he's damn good at it too.

Perhaps you could just sit down with a cup of tea while he eats so he doesnt feel abandoned.
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 1:12pm

Thanks for all the replies - we have been having some success over the last few days with him in his high chair and me sitting with him at the table. He refuses to sit in his highchair for his breakfast - so I put it on his table and he seems to eat it in when he is ready.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 1:49pm
With E if he is mucking round I will sit in the chair in the next room where i can still see him..seems to help..eating with him doesn't really he just wants to eat mine..and we eat after he does.. though weirdly we do eat breakfast together:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
 Post Reply Post Reply