FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFrustration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 9:15pm
Yeah, good point Clare. Personally, I "ignore" while he is near me and while still reguarly checking in with him and talking with him.

I remember an article by Ian Grant who talked about the importance of teaching feeling words. They used to have a huge list of completely random "feeling words" on the fridge and would try and make sure they used them regularly to help their kids learn to express themselves.
Mum to two wee boys
Sponsored Links

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by clare00 clare00 wrote:

I think that, not only do we need to give them the words for what they are feeling, but also by distracting or ignoring them we are implying that their feelings aren't worth listening to, and they should be suppressed.

I think to myself "how would I feel if I was upset about something and complained to my husband and he said "go to your room, I don't want to hear it" ?" I would feel even more upset and would think that my feelings were completely unimportant. KWIM? I would hate for my child to feel this, no matter how ridiculous I think the reasons for his tantrums are.

I agree that children need to provided appropriate language to express their feelings, but I think in the middle of a tantrum it isn't the appropriate time to do so as they are generally too highly aroused to take it in. Therefore, I think they need to calm down before their feelings or desires are discussed and this I believe is the purpose of time out. Also children often use tantruming behaviour as a way to control the situation and are often fully aware that they are not allowed to do what ever it is they are trying to do but want to see if they can get it by tantruming.
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12