FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow much dairy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much dairy?
    Posted: 21 December 2009 at 4:16pm
Jody is down to one BF a day, which only takes 5-10 mins so I don't think she is really hungry for it. However she won't drink any other kind of milk/formula, I have been trying for ages but she won't have a bar of it.
She will happily eat yoghurt, cheese and milk on/in food.
I want to drop the BF as I feel she's really not into it, she'd not latching properly (hasn't for a few weeks), and would rather be playing or just go to bed. But I am worried she won't get enough dairy in her food, how can I tell she is getting enough??
Does anyone else have a baby/toddler who has no milk drinks at all?
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 4:38pm
What about milo?
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 4:41pm
Nope, if it's not water she won't go near it.
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 4:55pm
My girl refuses to drink any form of milk - I've tried offering plain milk, milo, nesquik, soy milk, rice milk, toddler formula etc. As she eats cheese and yoghurt etc, it doesn't matter - as long as she eats (they recommend 2-3) 3 serves of dairy a day, she's getting more than enough calcium. Because I still worry sometimes, I use high calcium cheese slices as one of her snacks, and high calcium yoghurt as another, so even if she doesn't eat a lot she still gets enough.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 5:01pm
i cant see the ticker...how old is she?

you cant force her so i would just make sure she gets yogurt, cheese.. any sort of dairy really whenever you can..
Mum to two amazing boys!
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 5:13pm
Silly ticker seems to have died recently. She's 13 months.
Cool, we can easily do 2-3 servings of cheese and yoghurt. Is a serving the size of her fist like with fruit and vege?
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 5:16pm
Funny girl but then daniel is the same, it has to be water or plain milk, wont touch anything else.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Chickoin Chickoin wrote:

Silly ticker seems to have died recently. She's 13 months.
Cool, we can easily do 2-3 servings of cheese and yoghurt. Is a serving the size of her fist like with fruit and vege?

yeah..:) at 13 months E changed from neocate to real milk and took a while and i took bottles out too so he doesnt drink as much milk but we put it in his weetbix and he has a yogurt a day and cheese and stuff...

yeah they say size of the fist.. depends what it is as to how much E has ..he always has whole kiwifruit which is handy:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 7:32pm
Wonderful, thanks for the advice ladies, I will slowly cut out that last BF knowing 3 servings of yoghurt/cheese/milky porridge should keep her well calciumed (yes, sure that's a word...).
I will keep offering milk just incase she decides to drink it one day. She will drink 2-3 sips of milk when I am drinking it from a glass but gets angry when I stop her from putting her fist in my drink. Maybe I should get myself a sippy cup
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 7:48pm
I was told equivalent of 5-600ml of milk, so that can be in yoghurt, cheese, milk on cereal etc. Always good to remember that too much dairy is just as bad as well.

There is lots of calcium in most green veges too.

Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 7:59pm
That seems like a lot, she probably has 50ml of milk on cereal, 200ml of yoghurt at the most and about 50gm cheese. Plenty of fruit and vege too.
I am hoping that since she's not that keen on BFing then she's getting enough from her food?
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2009 at 8:12pm
I'm not sure if cheese and yoghurt are richer sources than milk.
If she eats plenty of veges I wouldn't worry too much, I think they eat what they need to really. Spencer was on a prescription formula and only having 360ml (if he drank full bottles, which rarely happened) and his paed wasn't concerned and he wasn't having any dairy at all. Was plunket who told me 5-600ml equivalent from all sources.

Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2009 at 2:02am
Looks like the yoghurt (easy yo stuff) has *slightly* more calcium than milk. However...
Of all the crazy things, I made Jody a drink of half hot milk, half cold water and a weeee bit of milo (which I have tried many many many times in the past) and she drank the whole 100mls and I had to run off and make up another bottle!!! THEN she pushed it away when it was nearly all gone so I went to get her pjs and came back to the lounge to find her lying down and feeding herself from the bottle!!!! Seriously!! I could not believe my eyes!! After so many weeks/months of trying to get her to drink any kind of milky drink and she suddenly decides it's a great idea!!!!!! I'm sure she knows I told on her on Ohbaby lol.
So now to slowly reduce the water and milo until she will drink warm milk and I will be a very happy mummy
And then try weaning her off the bottle
Bah! I am so delighted and excited!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply