FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNo No No No No

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
emmaohara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmaohara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No No No No No
    Posted: 28 December 2009 at 7:35pm
Hey ladies Help!!!!!!

My 21 month old is going through a real no no no no no stage. If you ask her to do anything she will say no, if she wants anything to eat its no, put her undies on no she has to choose it and what to wear/eat/do get out of car seat at her speed etc etc

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

What can I do she is driving me mad, if she gets really mad I put her in her room, if I put her in timeout she just gets up again and again and ends up back in her room...ekkk she is so head strong its her way or the high way

Anyone else had a strong willed little madam and how did you deal with it....?

Sponsored Links

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 8:14pm
Jack went through a stage of saying no. If it was something I wasn't fussed about e.g. I asked if he wanted something to eat and he said no then often I would say ok and continue on with something else, then he would straightaway say he did want it. I think at those times he just wanted to say no and didn't really know what it meant. Could have also been attention seeking and when I effectively ignored him it ruined the plan

Do you give her choices? Maybe she is trying to get control over something? If you aren't currently giving her choices then maybe you could let her choose the pink top or the purple one (or whatever you are happy with). If she has some contrl over something then she may be happier

Good luck!
Lindsey

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 10:37pm
I did exactly what Linzy said -- I used to (and still do) give him choices - do you want an apple or pear? (play with your cars or go outside) etc .... he will usually pick one, and if he says no, thats fine, no food. He changes his mind pretty quickly if he did actually want something to eat!

Otherwise I'd try not to ask a question, and just tell him whats happening, then he can't answer no so easily (and if he did I'd just ignore it and carry on).
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 9:20am
Those tactics worked really well with Ivy when she went through that stage and we still give her choices now, she's just the kind of kid who needs to feel like she has some control. Good luck!
~Cassie~
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 11:03pm
just dont ask questions   I was worried about Tom as he was over two before he said "yes"....and he is an excellent speaker. Now if he is in a "no"mood I ask him something that he cant resist and that usually breaks the cycle with a big cheeky smile
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 10:25am
Choices work brilliantly even when they are older.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2009 at 9:56pm
Uggg - I feel your pain. Madd sounds exactly the same at the moment Driving me mental. Well done with the TTing though!

ps. we miss you in the MarchApril mummies

EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2010 at 6:41am
Originally posted by Daizy Daizy wrote:

ps. we miss you in the March/April mummies

Yeah we do ... come back!
DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
sunnyhoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunnyhoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2010 at 8:57pm
right there with you atm...going through the same thing with Joy. I find it really difficult with TTing...she says "no" to everything TTing related too but is clearly ready for it.
It's very tiring and frustrating isn't it. I find saying "ok then" and just ignoring it works and giving choices sometimes works too.

Stay strong...hopefully they grow out of it......soon!
Mum to:
Joy Emily 1.05am 27/09/07 7lb 3oz
Austin Paul 12.47pm 18/04/10 10lb 8oz
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2010 at 7:58pm
I often give choices that aren't directly related to what I want her to do. If that makes sense. For example, if I need to change her nappy and I say "time to change your nappy"... she will say "NO!" So then I say which toy would you like to take while I change your nappy, this one, or this one?" and then she is focussed on the choice of which toy, rather than the nappy changing, and after she has chosen her toy then 99% of the time she will get her nappy changed no fuss.

I guess it makes her feel like she has more control over the situation, or something.

The other thing was that if she doesn't stay in time out then she gets time out in a playpen in the hallway, so she can't run away. That seems to work pretty well.
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
 Post Reply Post Reply