FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedanger management

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anger management
    Posted: 27 September 2007 at 7:04pm
I have just been loosing it with the kids recently. Mostly their fault but the way i react to it really isn't helping. So how do you control your anger????
Sponsored Links

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2007 at 7:34pm
I have been really struggling lately and getting really angry, so of course Hannah has been playing up more... Anyway, yesterday I started re-reading Toddler Taming, this morning my little SIL took Hannah out for the morning and by the time they were back I was feeling heaps better and this afternoon well really well.

Things I changed were ignoring the little stuff, trying to keep her distracted, making boring stuff into a game, not rushing her and getting her to help me do jobs rather thantrying to do them with her grumping away for attention. Just by giving her the attention and really concentrating on keeping things light/fun, I managed to keep the stress/anger down and when she did need disciplining I didnt fly off the handle, instead because I dealt with her calmly she didnt tantrum either.

Gosh that is a load of ramble. Basically it was just re-reading the book to refresh why she is doing stupid things and the tips. Good luck.

BTW, i definitly think this crap weather isn't helping - both mums and kids are crankier. Roll on summer!
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2007 at 8:25pm
tell me and we'll both know   i've been getting angry with the kids too lately....well jack mostly

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2007 at 8:34pm
Barnardos runs courses about positive parenting, as do parents centres. The Barnordoes ones are free, *i think* and you can find out about them from plunket or ring barnardos. Good luck, I have been struggling with this with Jacob ATM, and I honestly find "let it go and breathe, no one is going to die" mindset is good (even if sometimes EXCEPT YOU IF YOU CARRY ON WITH THIS BEHAVIOR pops into your mind!)
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2007 at 8:35pm
also, I find (and it sounds trite) If I'm nice, he;s nice. Hard to do, but it works (or you could mainline whiskey to help with this)
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2007 at 8:39pm
LOL!
If things seem to really be getting out of hand, I send them to their room for a little while - during which time I usually calm down, as do they (fingers crossed! )
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2007 at 9:30pm
I've been re-reading all my parenting books and going back to basics. I also find if I'm nice- shes nice works too!

I think Time out for Mum is really good too- if I feel myself getting mad I just say I need to take a break for a bit, leave the room and take a few deep breathes and try to think of a positive way to handle the situation. Not always easy to do- especially if you're in a rush/in public or something but it becomes easier to do once you get the hang of it.
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2007 at 10:08pm

really naughty at the moment but i've gone back to the smokes to settle myself down - but also from the stuff that happened a few weeks ago (you know about that Liz).

Other than that lots of praise for the good stuff (Andrew thrives on it) and ignoring the little things.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
 Post Reply Post Reply