FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedElective caesarian, share your story...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CarrieMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarrieMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Elective caesarian, share your story...
    Posted: 10 April 2012 at 8:04am
Hi,
I would love to hear anyone's experience of their elective caesarian experience in NZ.
I have one child but he was born in Australia (they have a different system) so I've never experienced pregnancy and birth in NZ.
It was a traumatic birth ending in an emergency caesarian with resulting medical problems for baby and I in the following weeks (we're both fine now).
For our next child my DH and I have discussed it and decided that an elective caesarian is the best option for us.
I'd really appreciate hearing about how you came to your decision to have an elective caesarian and how you went about finding your LMC, what their attitude was etc.
Also how it all went on the day and follow up care etc.
Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links

KcP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KcP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 1:37pm
Am also interested in this topic - am looking at an ECS because im high risk (diabetic) and have a special needs child at home( my step son, he's autistic) so need to make sure we have care in place for him.. Hard if I have no idea when Im going to give birth
Small family of three
TTC #1 4 years

InthemiddleMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 4:31pm
A lady called puddleduck has photographed and blogged her journey on here and if you read from page 1 of the pro c/s support chat thread there are a few if this link will owrk.

http://www.ohbaby.co.nz/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=19&PN=1

I have had 2 great experiences from 2 elective c/s after my traumatic VB. Once I laboured early at 36wk was 5cm by time OB checked me and once I went right to 40wks and went in "scheduled", for me I preferred the random labour but I had a much better MW for that c/s who actually listended to my requests like a lowered screen etc.
but all in all very happy mummy daddy & most of all, happy healthy baby.
InthemiddleMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 4:33pm
copy and paste this into your web thingee, rather than me repeating myself as its now time to peel the spuds~! lol

http://www.ohbaby.co.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38978&PN=1&TPN=1
KMBH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 8:48am
I had an elective at 38 weeks 5 days at Hutt Hospital. They were absolutely fantastic! My baby was transverse and not moving position and I also grew a little extra placenta which covered my cervix, so baby wasn't coming out that way. I had gone to an obstetrician during my pregnancy so knew them before the c-section.

It worked out to be a really good experience for me. The team was very calm and relaxed and put me at ease - I've never had an operation before so was a bit of a nervous wreck! They talked to me right from the time I went into theatre and I didn't even realise they'd actually started the operation until they said I would feel a bit of pressure. Next minute baby was out and making her presence known. We got to have cuddles while they finished working on me and then off to recovery.

My obstetrician has a midwife she works with who did my follow up care once I went home and I had a follow up check with the ob at 6 weeks. All good.

I hope your next experience is a better one for both you and baby!
CarrieMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarrieMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by KMBH KMBH wrote:

I had gone to an obstetrician during my pregnancy so knew them before the c-section.

My obstetrician has a midwife she works with who did my follow up care once I went home and I had a follow up check with the ob at 6 weeks.

Thanks for sharing KMBH. Did you pay for a private obstetrician or were you referred to one through public health for free?
kelzie_rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelzie_rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 10:34pm
I had an elective, as my girl was breech.

We had a traumatic birth, but it would have been worse if we had given birth naturally. There was a huge chunk of stuff stuck in her throat - still not sure what it was - and she wasn't breathing and needed compressions and oxygen. The team had never seen this happen before, so don't stress. But I didn't get my skin to skin, and didn't see her until hours later as she was in the NICU.

But the hospital staff were good. I was happy in the knowledge that I knew when bubs was coming. It was all good. I recovered really well from the actual procedure.

Started TTC Apr 2008
With PCOS and a bicornuate uterus

Our angel babies
Jan 2010 <3
Oct 2010 <3
Apr 2011 <3
KMBH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 11:37am
I had had health insurance for years so decided I may as well use it. So yes, I went private from the start.
Nightingale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightingale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2012 at 5:06pm
I had an elective c-section and had an amazing birth at Wellington hospital. My little man was breech so we got booked in for 39 weeks and the hospital staff were amazing! It was a really great experience. Let me know any questions you have and I will be happy to answer them.
Buttersmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buttersmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2012 at 8:42am
I had an elective c/s at Christchurch women's.

I had a great experience. The staff beforhand were superb and made me feel very relaxed and explained exactly what was happening and I always felt I could ask questions.
My MW was wonderful and supported my choice as it is because of my breathing that my Dr's wanted me to do a c/s.
My MW was present throughout the whole experience which was really really cool as I know some MW's will just leave you in the hosptital staff's care for the surgery at least.

I was amazed at how quickly everything happened. Once on the table and spinal working bub's was out in about 5 - 10 mins. They did hold her up but the screen was too high and they had to clean her up quick. That was OK though as it didn't take too long for them to do the tests and clean her up and I was able to peek out from behind the screen. Once they had done their thing she was placed immediately on my chest and never left!! Only time was when transferring me onto the hospital bed from operating table.
Pain relief was awesome during and following. Have a catheter was like a luxury as you never felt the need to pee for 24 hours
If you haven't been in hospitals before or had any sort of surgery you may find the process a bit daunting and the recovery a bit hard and exhausting. I practically grew up in hospital so I feel this made my recovery easier and the whole process as I sort of knew what to expect of that side of things.
I had a brilliant MW though and I think this also made the whole process alot better.
Ring around and question a few MW's until you feel comfortable. Make sure they won't "want you to try" labor first etc and I think make sure they will be present at the birth as I think you do need that support. Basically her role was support and honorary photographer which she said she loves as it gives her a chance to see the process for herself and see the parents reactions etc.
Anyhoo hope this helped

my little blobby April 09 "gone but will never be forgotten xx"
mummytobesep08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummytobesep08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 8:03pm
great experience with an elective C/S here!

Spent a long time coming to the decision- to the point that the day before my C/S date I was still not decided if I was gonna turn up! Very traumatic birth with DD#1 leaving me with life long problems. Had a few talks with OBS and decided that while there was a chance things might turn out OK with a natural birth again, the more likely event was more damage with long lasting effects, and a small but real risk of an emergency situation again.

In the end it was having a date for a C/S that got me from one side of the fence to the other. The end of the pregnancy was so hard, being so anxious about the birth, that the thought of not taking the C/S date and waiting another 2 or 3 weeks for a labour that may or may not come, was too much to bear.

The C/S itself was fine; we were so well looked after because the staff were aware of the past issues I had. I lost 900mls of blood which is a bit but not too much for a C/S (and far less that I lost with my natural birth). The only weird thing was that the spinal wasn't quite in the right place so I still had movement on one side and had to hold still through the op (weird!) and then near the end it wore off so I could feel pain. If I had said something, I'm sure they could have helped but I figured I could handle it and was near the end so just gritted my teeth and went with it.

Recovery was 100 times better than with the traumatic birth. The first 2 days were hell, then it was heaps better. Mine didn't heal right and is still giving me a bit of trouble 10 weeks later, but its still nothing compared to what I went through last time. Best start to motherhood that I could have asked for!

Angel babes '07 & '10- <3 <3
 Post Reply Post Reply