FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMoving to big bed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vixgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving to big bed
    Posted: 12 August 2011 at 6:59pm
What age did you move your toddler from cot to a bed? I have a baby due when DD is 17 months, baby will be in bassinet for 4 months and was hoping to do the transition then, so is 21 months too young?

Sponsored Links

squoggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squoggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 8:45pm
Ooh I will watch this thread with interest, we will have the same age gap except that I have long babies that grow out of bassinets within 2 months...so looking at moving into bed at 19months

BriAndOlisMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BriAndOlisMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 10:47pm
I took the side off my sons cot, so its pretty much like a big bed, when he was about 15 months. He has taken to it great. He fell out only once and I put him back in then he was fine.

He is nearly 18 months now and he still hasn't worked out he can get out in the mornings and play with his toys, even tho when I go in to get him up he climbs out by himself and grabs his pillow to take to the lounge.
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2011 at 9:19pm
I moved DS at about 16/17 mths as I wanted to try it before the new baby arrives. I started with day sleeps as he was falling asleep in the car at the time so easy to transfer and that went really well with no problems and so a couple of weeks later we tried night time too.

I think it's worked better for me than the cot, but I help DS to sleep eg lay next to him till he's asleep so haven't had any of the getting up problems that you might if your child goes to sleep on their own.

We use one of those barriers to stop him falling out and practised lots of getting off our bed before trying it so I knew if he decided to get off he wouldn't hurt himself.
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2011 at 12:39am
We moved our first son at 17 months and have just moved our second at 16.5 months, no issues whatsoever
millymollymandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote millymollymandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2011 at 8:47am
Have just moved DD when she was 23 months and it went fine. She has side bars on to stop rolling and was very excited at the prospect.
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2011 at 9:13am
I too am sturggling with this one. We are thinking of getting a big bed for DS when we move house in 6 weeks instead of buying another cot for DD. It's hard though, he's a great night sleeper and I hope he doesn't climb out every 5 mins!

I might start by taking the side off the cot first which we could do now until we move but do you think a new house, new room, new bed in 6 weeks might be too much for him all at once? We have a large bassinet so keeping DD in it until we move should be fine, it's just trying to get the timing right

E&L+1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E&L+1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2011 at 12:27pm
We tried to move DD into a bed a month or so ago. She'd had the side off her cot for ages. The first week was great. Then she got sick and was waking heaps. Then about 2 weeks ago I put the cot back up as the lack of sleep was doing my head in. She is now sleeping much better. We've decided to try again after baby comes (about a month or so after) when she'll be 2. If she's still not ready then we'll get a second cot. If she hadn't gotten sick we probably would have been fine.

Mrs Emma, I'd keep him in the cot until you are settled in the new house. Moving house can be unsettling and moving into a big bed can be unsettleing too. If you have the bed already you could set it up all ready for him to move too and give him the option for day sleeps to start with. YOu never know he might just decided he wants to sleep in his big bed.
luv2dance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luv2dance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2011 at 7:17pm
We have just moved DS who is 19months to his bed. He sleeps in it fine and hasn't fell out yet. He is a bit of a PITA to get to sleep sometimes and last night it took 2 hours of him getting up and coming out to the lounge and DH and I taking turns to lie there with him so he would go to sleep. He finally tired out and gave in. Tonight I sat with him because when he is left in the room he gets up and destructs things like pulled all of the nappies out of the box all over the floor.
During the day is much better - today he was so tired I just put him in to bed and he literally closed his eyes and went to sleep.
Does anyone have any ideas for teaching them to stay in bed? I don't want to make a habit out of sitting there until he is asleep if I can help it.
We have a new baby arriving in about 7 weeks

Post Reply Post Reply