FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcrayons paints etc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: crayons paints etc
    Posted: 03 December 2008 at 12:31pm

Hi,

I am after some recommendations.  Tom has never really had fun with paints, crayons etc as I am scared he will destroy the house we are renting.  I've seen that crayola have some that only work on certain papers etc or that are "washable".  What is everyone's experience?

Sponsored Links

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 12:49pm
Tried a sample of the finegrpaint crayloa paints, and yes the colour only shows on the paper,..but the actual 'paint' has the texture of lip balm/gloss,..is clear like that too,..so would be greasy and stain if on walls.

You could get a cardborad box and paint that outside on the grass!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 1:09pm
I really need to harden up dont I
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 1:14pm
We do painting outside. Though we haven't done it often. He also has some crayola crayons and he hasn't drawn on the wall because I supervise him with them and put them away when I'm not around.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 1:16pm
Lol! It does make a heck of a mess. We have a big old palstic tablecloth that I lay on the grass first then paint on that. If you take wipes, a bucket of water, soap and a towel outside with you, your can clean him up before u come inside again!

We ahvent had any luck with crayons cos Isla eats them. She ate the tops of the crayola toddler crayons too, the ones that are shaped like a ball so they can grip them better.
She has some Dora felt pens but I have to sit with her, and I have to keep warning her if she doesnt keep the pens on the mat, and draw on the paper then I will take them away,..one warning then next offence they are all packed up! Mind you we have disturbingly old and disgusting carpet so it woyldnt really matter, Im just strict cos I dont want her to think its ok to draw on stuff that isnt paper.
You could start with bit sticks of chalk and black cardborard,..less mess!

Edited by Kellz
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 2:25pm
We live in a rental which has brand new carpet so I'm really anal about paints, crayons, play doh etc.  I have a couple of vinyl backed picnic blankets which get laid on the floor under the table when Michaela's doing any messy play.  The other options would be to restrict messy play to outdoors or clear out your garage so a table and messy play things can be set up in there.
Glow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 3:00pm
We cover the area with newspaper or large plastic table cloth, taping it to the ground/table stops it from moving. Dressing in aprons & having washing facities ready for when you are done
Paints I use are non-toxic & washable if brought or finger paint I make with cornflour & washing flakes
Crayons Kal still eats but I have made some big handgrip size crayons which I melted down from old broken bits & he uses them well, with my assistance & reminders not to eat it
Mummy of Two Boys
B: 2004
K: 2007

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 3:47pm

Originally posted by MrsMojoThe other options would be to restrict messy play to outdoors or clear out your garage so a table and messy play things can be set up in there.[/QUOTE MrsMojoThe other options would be to restrict messy play to outdoors or clear out your garage so a table and messy play things can be set up in there.[/QUOTE wrote:

Clear out the garage??????? Impossible!!!! We cant even get our car in there.

Clear out the garage??????? Impossible!!!! We cant even get our car in there.

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by nzpiper nzpiper wrote:

I really need to harden up dont I

me too!   the kids very rarely colour or paint because i'm afraid of the mess......must take them outside to paint on the grass

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 7:47pm
during summer you can fill a large bucket with water and maybe a little food colouring and give them big paint brushes and they can "pretend" to paint the fences, wooden and corugated iron fences works best with this but brick ones are kewl too, because they are wet the kids can see where they've painted and see the patterns, but funnily enough it all dissapears again later.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 7:53pm
The other thing is, if they aren't given the chance to get to walls etc then you don't have to worry about it, i mean it's not like you'd give it to them and walk off into the other room. with them making a mess in the house, just have that other area like others have said. we always had a messy mat, or i'd stick them in their highchair, celotape the paper to the tray and pass them the brushes etc for painting. we used to fill a cupcake tin with different coloured waters (water plus a few drops food colouring) and use cotton buds in each, i'd hand them the colur they wanted and it doesn't make too much mess, very easy to clean off again too (except red does stain if you use too much). with painting i'd always just strip them off to nappy and have the bath run and everything ready to go before we started so i could just chuck em in there.

in terms of crayons, for little hands nice large crayons are great, coloured pencils are all good too. definately don't move onto feltpens until you know you're safe with them not trying to draw on things. lol.

most of all, have fun, mostly everything comes out in the wash.

if you show them and help them to be creative without making the huge mess then as they get older it gets better. our girls are only allowed to do drawing up the breakfast bar, if there's painting involved its on the lino with a messy mat or preferably outside with their little tables.

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 8:04pm
Also, baby wipes get crayon off walls really well
pomikiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 8:50pm
haha cracks me up when people are scared of the mess. Most things are washable now, especially the crayola stuff. But I agree, it's summer let them outside and let them go for it, it will save the walls inside, lol. Also if you have a big paved area get some chalk and let them chalk all over the ground. Then when it rains it all goes away!

The water and paint brushes outside too is always a hit. If they don't learn about making messes etc they'll only do when they get the chance, whether they're 2 or 6!

DD-Carys Amelia 17.03.06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 10:57pm

I never thought of putting him in his high chair....great idea.  AS for being afraid of mess, its only because we are renting and have new carpet and textured wall paper.  At our last place (also a rental) we had wooden floors and I had a huge roll of newsprint that I stuck to the floor and let him go for it.  He was a bit little and just ate the paint.

I think I might get hims some crayons and see what happens.

kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2008 at 11:23pm
You can also get the packs of 'invisible' pens that only work in the book that you buy with them.  They are about $15 and it is similar to what we used to have but I havn't been able to find where we just used to paint with water and the colour was already on the book.
Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 2:56pm
Spencer has his crayons in his highchair with a piece of paper, although mostly he draws on the tray of the highchair. Or I have some large pieces of thick paper that I put on the floor and I take the crayons off him if he tries to do a runner with them. Painting we do at playgroup

Have just bought a little water/sand table for his xmas pressie and that has a lid so in winter i'm gonna bring inside and that will be his art table.

I have a big green crayon mark on our hallway tiles and found said green crayon in my shoe yesterday. Dh was getting him to draw in my b-day card and then just let him run riot with it

We have the big chunky crayons, it says they are for 2 yrs plus but I found all the ones designed for younger were useless, especially those palm ones because he just played with them like they were weebles.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 7:54pm
I'm a clean freak too I have all the crayons, felt pens, etc stored in a cupboard and they only come out when I am available to supervise - then back in the cupboard when the novelty has worn off for another day. I haven't had the courage to try paints yet Even with all that supervision, our crayons are still the washable variety!!
Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2008 at 8:47pm
Im a real neat freak too. Our house is tiny so I hate any mess. I have only just got Keira some crayons and coloured pencils and she only uses them when supervised.

She has a crayola colouring in book with felt pens which only show up in the book which I love - so does she!

The other day I was feeling brave and set up a big sheet of paper outside and squirted a bit of paint on and let them go for it. They had a great time and it was so easy to clean up. I did however find some handprints inside but came off pretty easily with a bit of water.

Another one I have done with Keira (it may be more for slightly older kids is putting a drop of food colouring on paper and then blowing through a stray to make patterns.

I love some of the other ideas you guys have come up with, painting the fances with water sounds fun!

Post Reply Post Reply