FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbattles over dinner time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sunshine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: battles over dinner time
    Posted: 20 November 2008 at 1:44pm
has anyone else experienced this with thier toddler?
mine is 16months old and when i sit her down for dinner and put food in front of her i know she can eat and likes - she looks at it and then starts screaming really loud and refuses to touch it.
This can go on for some time and she gets herself so worked up i dont know what to do. i have tried putting her in her room for a few minutes but that just upsets her more.have also tried ignoring her too. am seriously at my wits end with these tantrums.
Interestingly if i bring out yoghurt or banana she will stop crying and eat it!??
Sponsored Links

cat007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cat007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 4:17pm
Its the same in our household! I just try to persist. DS always refuses the first mouthful or two but if I walk away he often feeds himself a few more. Its often worse when he is tired or dad is in the room.

Im afraid I dont have any answers myself. Keep persisting and they do grow out of it.
Bel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 5:33pm
I am having a few eating issues myself at the moment, although my son is only a year old. I have read that they will eat when they are hungry and you are just exacerbating the problem when you offer something else - so now Luke has to finish what I am offering before he gets anything else. I don't know if it will work, but he ate all his breakfast this morning after not eating alot of dinner last night...

He is also refusing/spitting out food that he has always eaten and likes, so it is not that he doesn't like it.
Mum to two beautiful kids   
Luke (09.11.2007)
Amy (01.04.2009)
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2008 at 7:27pm
We had something similar monus the screaming. Jack just seemed to refuse to eat when we fed him. In the end I let him feed himself and it seems to work mostly. In the beginning it would often take 30mins+ but I would just make dinner etc while keeping an eye on him. I think for him he was trying to exhurt his independence, except when the yoghurt came out and then he would be spoon fed!!
Lindsey

sunshine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2008 at 2:06pm
i think exurting independance has a lot to do with plus testing the boundaries. will have to perservere! last night was great but who knows what will happen tonight...!!!
Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 7:37pm
Ugh, I can totally sympathize with this and my daughter is only 13 months..

Keziah used to like almost anything you put in front of her and hardly refused.. but lately (more since she started to feed herself) we've been having huge dinner time tanties and she'll throw food all over the place until I get so fed up and get her out of the highchair
It's really frustrating when you go to the effort of cooking them something they like and they throw it all over the room with a mammoth tanty following shortly after
ShellandBella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 9:07pm
I have to laugh at these posts (and feel slightly relieved at the same time) as all these behaviours sound exactly like my own stroppy miss at tea time! I have now learned that if I just leave her with a tray full of food, a messy mat under her highchair and let her go to town, eventually she will pick at most things. She definitely has a taste for some things more than others, but I keep trying with different foods despite most of them being hurled across the room ! And she was so easy as a baby *sigh*!!

Post Reply Post Reply