FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedShe just spits the antibiotics out! GRRR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
denny25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denny25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: She just spits the antibiotics out! GRRR
    Posted: 03 October 2009 at 8:09pm
Ava has the flu and an ear infection at the moment and was put on Amoxycylin a couple of days ago.

The first few attempts to get the stuff into her went fine..THEN all hell broke loose. She screams bloody murder and wriggles so much I can't get it anywhere near her. When i DO get it in her mouth (using a syringe) she spits it straight back out.

What can i do?
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 8:21pm
When daniel did that we held him down on his back and put in 1ml at a time and kept a finger in his mouth so he couldnt spit it out, he hated it but it worked
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 9:47pm
I have many tricks to get antibiotics into babies as my DD will NOT take any medicine at all.

Not too sure how old your baby is, but lay them on their back, pinch their nose closed so they have to mouth breathe and quicky quirt it in continuing to hold their nose closed, just for a few seconds. This forces them to swallow the medicine so they can take another breath. Sounds nasty but it does work.

Failing that put it into about 2cm of lemonade and get them to drink it through a straw.
catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 12:58pm
not sure how old your baby is, but have you tried mixing it in with a bit of yoghurt and spoon-feeding?

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 7:30pm
Once you have her restrained try to squirt it right at the back of her tongue, just a ml at a time you don't want her to choke and vomit it up, but that way it's really hard for them to spit it back out.
Spencer won't even eat pamol so I feel for you, it's not nice.

I would try the food methods first though if she is feeling well enough to eat.

bub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 8:14pm
yip i agree try lying her on her back and bloking there noes and they will swollow.

i had the same trouble when my DD was about 5 6 months so i thort id try it on a spoon not a syringe and she took it preoberly becoz i wasnt trying to force it down her.
mother to Brianna, Amelia & Mathew.

LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 8:15pm

We put it in a bottle and he always drinks that!!

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 9:28pm
We used to mix Amoxycylin into a little pureed apple and give that to him. Now he is bigger I just put him in a head lock!!!
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 8:07am
Rhiannon refused to take meds as well....and we tried all the tricks in the book...i have a child who will spit out the meds, but if you put it down the back of her throat she will actually make herself throw up.

thankfully shes at the age now i can bribe her...so last time wasnt so bad.

next time i will try the food trick.

with Amoxycylin the dctr said i could mix it with a bit of orange juice..

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 12:51pm
In some yoghurt always worked for us. Don't try it if she's a fussy eater though as if it tastes funny, she'll probably go right off that food.

Jack had foul tasting AB's after he came off IV AB's earlier this year. We just put him in a 'headlock' as someone described it and held his nose, 1ml at a time. They soon learn not to bother fighting it! (Trust me, he was on them 4-6 times a day, for over a month).
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2009 at 3:11pm
I must be a terrible Mum, I use bribery I give Chloe a mini-marshmellow if she takes her medicine. It works 99% of the time! If she really won't take it then as the others said, just little bits at a time. If you squirt it right at the back of the side of one cheek, just a little bit, then it's hard to spit out and they generally won't gag on it, as opposed to squirting it at the back of their throat.

I always feel guilty when ABs in particular are spit out, since it's such a job to even get our Dr to prescribe them even when the kids have had ear infections for weeks It's like gold and I hate when it's wasted.
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2009 at 8:07pm
We use cashew nuts here, apparently they're chocolate according to Jackson
Aroz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aroz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2009 at 7:40pm

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago when my girl got the flu. She was really bad with antibiotics. The trip to the doctors was a nightmare with her screaming the place down while the doctor tried giving her the medicine. My partner and I both had to hold her down which wasn't a nice experience. We were given amoxycillin as well but I wasn't too keen on having to hold her down every time I gave it to her so I tried every trick I could think of. Eventually I discovered if I put it in her sipper cup with diluted rasberry cordial it masked the taste enough that she drunk the whole lot with no complaints. If you don't want to try cordial (which I wasn't a big fan of cos of the sugar content but was all we had at the time) then fruit juice would definitely work too. To this day my daughter is still asking me for red juice lol.

Post Reply Post Reply