FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedProblem toilet training

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zachary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem toilet training
    Posted: 19 October 2010 at 7:33pm
Hi all,
My 4y 8mth son is slow to catch on to this toilet training thing, my issue is that although he can go wees and poos on toilet he now says he dosent want to do wees in toilet and has usually 3 changes of clothes a day!!!
I'm of course worried about the school thing looming in term 1 next year.
He dosent care if he's wet ( very relaxed child)
We've tried reward charts, toys, talking to him, even removing his favourite things, but still no result/change.
it's of course very worrying for me, any help???? jen
Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2010 at 11:01pm
Didn't want to read & run.

Have you asked why he doesn't want to?
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
ange221 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ange221 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 8:30am
We had this problem with DS and ended up putting him back in pull ups. I was so sick of washing the wet and dirty pants and he also didn't care if he was wet.

I hid all his undies and told him that he could have them back when he was a big boy and used the toilet then he could have his big boy undies back.

We started TT at the beginning of last year when he was 3.4 and he is now fully TT'd and has just turned 4.

It was a long, hard, frustrating road but we got there in the end.
jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2010 at 4:53pm
sorry, I read your post yesterday but didn't have time to reply. I don't have any answers for you but wanted to give

My DD is also over 4 and still having a lot of TT issues. She is only dry one or two days a week. She has no explination as to why and doesn't really seem too worried. It is VERY depressing, upestting for all of us and really winds me up

We have tried many different tactics - back to nappies, rewards, taking things away, bribes .... nothing seems to work and I am also very worried about school next year and how she may suffer if she is still having problem (with how other children react and treat her) .

Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2010 at 9:03pm
I am aware that only a very small percentage of kids have this issue so it may not be applicable in your situation but...my nephew (4 years 7 months) was having the same issue wetting his pants up to 5 or 6 times a day and basically sitting in it all day. He didn't seem to care whether he was wet or not. He could be dry all day but mostly wasn't. He had been fully TT at 2.5 years and then after a few months slipped back and had been wetting his pants ever since. My sister took him to the doc and basically insisted that they help her as he is going to school early next year. They tested him and it turns out he has a medical problem and needs to be on medication. Since he has been on the medication he hasn't wet his pants at all. He also had to go and see a nurse at the incontinence clinic and she said one of his problems was constipation. He wasn't drinking enough so was getting constipated, so then got a sore tummy, which meant he didn't eat or drink much which made the issue worse. She has put him on a program where he has to drink a certain amount of water and pee at certain times of the day to retrain his bladder. They are then going to wean him slowly off the medication.

Just thought I'd mention it coz it might be worth either taking him to the doctor or trying bladder re-training.
jaycee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaycee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 8:03am
Thank you for sharing that info Shelt - I think with Amy part of the problem is that she doesn't drink enough water so her body doesn't realise that she needs to go to the toilet. We are working on that but it is hard!

Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 9:34pm
No worries. My nephew has a chart where he has to drink a certain amount of water and go to the toilet after he has had the drink. Then he is not allowed to go to the toilet for a certain amount of time (I think its 2 hours). Its to remind him to drink (he has to drink a certain amount over the whole day) and also to retrain his bladder into holding a larger amount of water. Its called bladder retraining - the idea is to get them to drink a decent amount of water so their pee runs clear (my nephew's used to be dark yellow all the time) and train their bladders to hold the water and relax enough to release all of it. The nurse said that some kids have irritable bladders - basically they can't relax enough to empty them properly and then they feel like they need to go all the time so they ignore it and then they can't tell if they actually need to go. Drinking less water actually makes the problem worse.
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 9:36pm
Meant to say the chart is a sticker chart. He gets a sticker every time he has a drink of water - works kind of like a toilet training chart but it is just about drinking water. There is hardly any emphasis on going to the toilet, its just mainly concentrating on getting him to drink more water.
crafty1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crafty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2010 at 2:07pm
I read that Nigel Latta book the other day and he talked about a 5yo who was choosing not to use the loo despite being able to and sitting in his soiled pants quite happily. He got him toilet trained by making it the boys problem. So the boy had to clean up any accidents. Apparently within a week he chose to use the loo rather then clean up his soiled underpants, sheets etc. It was easier for him.

Nigel said the mum was shocked at the idea at first saying i can't ask my boy to clean his own poo and he countered, he is expecting you to clean up his poo which is actually grosser. He's 5yo and therefore old enough to manage his toileting himself whether he chooses to use toilet or clean his soiled pants. You're making the problem his.

Post Reply Post Reply