FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow do you discipline your toddler??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you discipline your toddler??
    Posted: 26 October 2010 at 7:10pm
that is under 2?

Miss T is getting really naughty. She has just started hitting, mainly me when she doesnt get her own way but i really want to stop this.

She has also started pushing or hitting other children when the try take toys of her.

I have tried several things but none have worked. She can understand what i say, and she knows its wrong but gets more angry and hits me when i try talking to her about it.

I was thinking of trying the naughty corner, i tried this today with no success. But other ideas would be nice.

She is nearly 22 months

Sponsored Links

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2010 at 9:43pm
I'm in the same boat, its so hard to try to discipline an under-2!

I've just started putting him into the spare room for time out, but only if he hits me (or DH, but usually me!) more than once (i.e. he hits, I warn him, he hits again and laughs, I put into the spare room). Or same thing if he's throwing toys at me or someone else. I'll leave him in there for no longer than 2 minutes, then go and get him, give him a quick cuddle then carry on with what we were doing.
Not sure if its working yet, as I've only just started doing it, but I'm making an effort to be consistent, which I think is the key.
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 9:45pm
With Morgan (almost 16mths) we just move her away from what shes doing and sit her down, if shes been repeatedly told not to do something. Hubby has just started the naufghty spot with her. she is REALLY testing the boundaries right now.
With Jake we started the naughty spot just before 2 but I can't remember exactly when. It worked for him as he is such a compliant wee thing. He would get really upset and sit there crying, I letf him only for about a minute at first, then I explained why he was there and he said sorry and hugged me (or the person he'd wronged). Now we tend to put him in his room or take away a privledge.
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
kiwigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2010 at 11:10pm

DD is just over 2 we have a corner in the lounge where she sits where just need to say time out now and she will yell and scream and go and sit on the naughty spot. If she starts playing up on a occasion we have put her in her cot for a couple of minutes and realises that Mum and Dad mean business.

HuMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2010 at 7:39am
We also use the naughty spot, usually to stop him standing on the dog. But when it is obviously not working (usually when he is very tired) I have found that I tell him its wrong, move him away from the problem and sit with him my knee have a quiet cuddle, till he is more compliant, usually take 5-10 minutes. Then he seems to be happy to play again.

Funnily I've just started reading "of course I love you now go to your room", and it suggests a similar method! Haven't finished the book yet, but I'll update when I get to the bit about dealing with hitting toddlers. She calls it giving a boring cuddle...
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 7:49am
*watching with interest*

Cory is almost 17mths and NO means nothing to him...and if we pull him away and distract him or give him a tap on the back of the hand it just doesnt faze him.

He is constantly turing the swiches on the wall sockets on and touching the tv and hitting us when he cant get his own way...he has jst stopped biting his sister (but only because she bit him back).

He will go to his room if we tell him too...but he goes there then comes straight back out again.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 8:20am
i've always just used the firm voice and said "No, that is not acceptable" and pick them up and move them away from the situation. then walk away. I think if you spend too much time talking to them and trying to explain what is wrong it is just seen by them as spending time with you which is a reward...

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 3:36pm
No, angry voice and smacking don't work with him.
What does work is counting down, " come here by the time I count to 1"
And being put in his room, any hitting, or pushing gets straight away put in his room, no warning, because he is at an age where he knows that isn't acceptable, everything else is warning then put in his room and shut the door. He then has to come out and say sorry to the person he hurt.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 5:48pm
Time out or time out in his cot. He laughs in the normal time out spot
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
 Post Reply Post Reply