FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked24month old sleep troubles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 24month old sleep troubles
    Posted: 28 January 2011 at 5:34pm
DD goes down for naps and bed time fine for DP and her grandmother when she is there. But for me its just hassle after hassle.

She will scream as soon as i leave the room and will continue to scream until i go back in. I have started to leave her crying because i know she is just playing up on purpose but she will keep going for over an hour. But i always give in and go give her cuddles and sit with her until she falls asleep because im so exhausted myself i need a break.

Any ideas how to get her to go down for me again with out troubles. This only started when DP went back to work
Sponsored Links

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 7:53pm
Been there done that. I think J was younger and noone would do except mummy. I read somewhere about often its about wanting some special mummy time and by spending a ltitle time with her before bed she may be happier to let you leave the room.

It was about that time I started putting J to bed by reading him 2 stories in the chair then cuddles where I would talk about his day "you had a fun day today, didnt you" he nods "it was fun going to so and sos house" etc etc....after a few of those I say "now its time to go na nyes, teddy's tired, tucker's tired" And put him down, give him a kiss and walk out.

Then I used the verbal reassurance technique where you let them cry for 5 min then walk halfway into the room and reassure them by saying "your alright, time for sleep, love you" etc and walk out. You dont pick them up (my first mistake) or expect them to calm down...they normally go ballistic. Go back after another 5 mins etc and repeat. The first time we tried this he screamed for 7 whole minutes (LOL..it felt bad) but considering before hand it was 1-2 hours, I was impressed. Next night 3min and next night nothing.

Thats what worked for us about 6 months ago...to throw a spanner in the works...J is being a right sh*t at bedtimes now and so are nearly every other 2 yr old I have come across. Its a phase!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 10:05pm
My almost 2yo has recently started this too. I just shut the door when I tuck her in and don't go back. She's slowly learning to give up on trying to get me to return!
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 10:22pm
Same here, that door is shut & don't hear from him. If we leave the door open, different story! We initially did it for sound proofing but now it's part of the sleep routine!

I'd go with the 5 mins think like NZPiper said. This is what we did a while ago with C. I think he was under a year old?? but it works well & it give you something to focus on (clock watching lol) but if she's hysterical then go back in before the 5 mins.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
SBM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SBM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by _SMS_ _SMS_ wrote:

I have started to leave her crying because i know she is just playing up on purpose but she will keep going for over an hour.

It sounds like she may be starting off playing up on purpose, but if she is still crying five, ten, twenty minutes later I imagine that she is becoming genuinely upset by you leaving the room

Have you tried reading any books on the topic? I would highly recommend Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution for toddlers and preschoolers. If anything to just give you some reassurance that what you are experiencing is normal! From the previous replies it sounds like she could just be going through a phase that a lot of kids that age go through, in which case I would think there is no use fighting it, just ride it out, this too shall pass!
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 7:20am
I'll have a look for this book today.

We spend alot of time together. She is very clingy mummies girl.

Luckily its the weekend so she will be find because DP is here

Also just to throw in the mix its started at night time to but at 12am when she wakes arhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 8:33am
Have you put books or a toy in with her? I find if B doesnt want to sleep he will look at a book or play with a car and drift off. I rather have that than the screaming/kicking version
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 11:59am
She always has books next to her bed but isnt interested. I will read one with her before she goes to bed also.

When DP puts her down if i check on her she is sleep with books around her so i know she is reading them
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2011 at 12:33pm
Unless they are like my little one who ripped a library book to shreds last night.
Disco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2011 at 5:24pm
I know this might sound a little simple. But have you tried talking to her. Telling her what's going to happen a little bit before going to bed?

The past few months DD (14mnths) has been waking 2-5 times during the night some nights. All she wanted was a cuddle as she would go back to sleep straight away. Anyway the other night before bed I sat down and told her that I need her to sleep through the night as it was making us all very tired. I told her I was next door if she really needed anything. That I would see her in the morning when we all woke up.

That was 3 nights ago, she has slept through every night without a peep, apart from one occassion that was a poo nappy. Might just be coincidence but I think she understood what I said. I guess only time will tell.

disco
 Post Reply Post Reply