FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGetting rid of dummy???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
zoeymil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoeymil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting rid of dummy???
    Posted: 22 February 2011 at 9:10am
I would love some ideas on how to get rid of a dummy, my toddler has started to wake in the night alot looking for it and since she has moved into a big bed ... she can't find it and has been coming to wake me up to find it for her!!! She only has her dummy when she is in bed at night , so i know she doesn't really need it to sleep.
Sponsored Links

Dani08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dani08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 2:25pm
I was really lucky, my DD never took to a dummy in the first place, but one of my coffee group friends cut the ends off her DS's dummies, so they were useless as a sucking/comforting thing and it apparently did the trick (after a few days, I must add!)

Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 8:28pm
Not too sure how to tackle that one, I got rid of the dummy when Arianne turned 1.

Perhaps cutting the end off would be a good place to start, I know kids over 2 start getting very attached to things and freak out when you take it away.
HuMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 9:13pm
We put some holes in it then cut it off slowly. www.bye-bye-binky.com explained the technique.

Worked a treat, no tears, kinda cute watching DS wonder why it wasn't sucking as well as it could. And DS would have one in each hand and one in his mouth to sleep!!!!
SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2011 at 9:28pm
DD was freakily easy - DH put her to bed 2 nights in a row without it, and that was it! That said, ever since then the sleep has gone to pot, on the 4th night I tried to give it back to her but she just spat it out and kept screaming, so it's gone now. And now she's not sleeping in the day time any more...

so, easy to get rid of, but the side-effects suck!!! Good luck.
rorylex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rorylex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2011 at 9:21pm
we did the holes thing also and very easily went from 3 out of 4 with a dummy to no more dummies at all.
Mummy to 4 boys
Samuel - 18.6.05
Rory - 15.7.06
Mason - 13.06.08
Emmett - 24.01.10
Baby #5 - cooking
zoeymil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zoeymil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 6:19am
I just cut the end off the dummy , then she held it for a few days while she had a sleep and then she put it in the rubbish herself ... it only took 3 days all up and now we have no more dummy!!!! so much easier than i thought it would be!!!
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 12:13pm
I was just coming to suggest the going cold turkey but you've already had success.

We've gone from having a dummy most of the time to none, it's been a bit bizarre really. DH instigated it.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2011 at 8:06pm
hehe.. we told Thomas that only little babies have a nummies (thats what he calls it) and he thinks he's a big boy, so off it went.
Alex, Thomas and Lily
fallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2011 at 8:40pm
Sebastian only occasionally slept with it in his mouth so I decided it would be easy to just go cold turkey. What a mistake that was!! He screamed and screamed for it. Eventually went to sleep only to wake during the night multiple times crying for it. Then the next day and night he screamed hysterically if he was taken anywhere near his cot. So he got it back the second night. I have fears I will have a 5 year old running around with one

Post Reply Post Reply