FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow do I know if this is "normal"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do I know if this is "normal"?
    Posted: 19 June 2012 at 7:16pm
Our 21 month old has started throwing major tantrums which I know is normal for this age, stomping feet, spinning around in circles, screaming and hitting out at us.

It can take us up to 30 minutes to just change a nappy or get her dressed.

When we do take her out shopping it tends to be places like The Warehouse, where we can spend over an hour while she runs around has a fantastic time, but getting her to leave is screaming fits! Even when we give her warning that we'll be leaving soon.

She goes to a home based carer for a couple of hours a day and is fantastic there, really happy, but get her home and she just wants to watch TV or get into stuff she shouldn't be.

I've noticed other kids her age out with their parents, walking alongside them holding their hand quite happily.
Our girl just runs!

I don't know if it's her personality? If we're being too soft? If we need to introduce some kind of discipline? Or if it's just a stage and will pass with time?

HELP!

May 2012
Sponsored Links

Hadlam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hadlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 7:59pm
Honestly I don't think there is any harm in introducing some sort of discipline from now but it doesn't need to be harsh.

I think the best thing that DH and I have found since our DS started throwing tantrums about 18 months is consistancy.

If he refuses to get dressed (as an example) we give him 3 seconds to come get dressed if he doesn't we go get him and dress him.

If he throws a tantrum whereever it maybe we walk away, and just outright ignore him. After maybe 30 seconds we'll be go back to him say, are u ready to come? If he isn't then we just pick him up and take him. But 9/10 he is already running up to us and ready to go (it wasn't like that at first - but is now after months of doing it.)

Don't get me wrong its not easy, just make some clear rules and stick to them.

Good luck, be patient and you'll get there :)
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 8:06pm
Probably a lot is her personality. Ive found it easier to just do things that suit my kid rather than try and make my kid fit situations like shopping, or playdate with kids they dont get on with/play well together just cos it suits me cos I wanna hang out with the Mum! It doesnt last, its just at this age!

Like recently we've had issues with DS hitting,...but I figured out that he loves playing with boys who are similar, and he doesnt do this behaviuor with them,...just with 2 of my friends 2 yr old girls who are both "the sit still read a book/ play nicely" kinda kids where my son is very physical and full-on!

Neither of mine have been the walk along nicely holding hands type! I stopped talking my DD to town around this age cos she would not sit in her buggy, would not walk, ran off or wanted to be held so was too stressful. DS likes his buggy- but only when we are moving,..not in shops, lol,...when we do go to town I only plan a short outting and never when I have important things to do,...its fun hanging out together when Im relaxed and there is nothing I HAVE to do at the shops,..I let him wonder at his pace, splash in puddles, stand and stare at the buskers etc and we both have a good time.

An hr seems a very long time to be at the Warehouse. We are never out at the shops that long, DS would well have lost the plot by then. I get him involved with the buying,....give a warning,..its time to go soone,..then make it sound like a fun thing/turn it into a game,..."Wow guess what?! You get to carry this up to the lady AND pay the money,..how cool is that",...make a big deal of how cool it is, how special it is that shes gonna pay, etc.
Many times when I was stressed with something DD was doing, it only took a small change in how I was handling the situation,..or anticipating it,...and it changed! Like she screamed for 6 months everytime I took her to daycare,...so this made me upset/stressed,..worried if she was every gonna settle there, worried that I was doing the wrong thing in having her there,..etc etc,...but then the head teacher siad to me that I needed to change my attitude and start at home nefore we left being excited about the cool things she was going to do there and being positive when I dropped her off instead of anxious and worried,...and the change in her was immediate!
Good luck!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 8:19pm
a lot of it is personality but also how you are dealing with it. for instance the warehouse isnt a play area, and if you let any kid run loose in it having fun for an hour then tried to take them home there would be tears. at her carers place there are probably rules and boundaries and maybe if you find out what some are those are you can use them at home and introduce some consistency.   

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 8:54pm
Do we have the same child? Mine is the same when we go to somewhere like the Warehouse I pop her in a trolley even if its to get something small.
At Mitre 10 I discovered they have kid sized shopping trolleys which DD pushes around the store.

I to get her involved in the shopping process and that seems to help.

We do Playcentre and there are certain rules that we all follow and I try to continue them at home, often using PC as the reason we do xyz. Helps to reinforce a consistent message and at PC it's not only me saying it.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 10:19pm
Thanks, some great ideas to take on board, the tactic I've been using is to ignore the full on tantrums, she stands right beside me, I let her know I'm there, but I just busy myself with something else. Hubby hasn't really had to deal with them too much yet.

Consistancy is obviously something we need to sort out and agree on, both Hubby and I are shift workers, we work opposites so that one of us is always home with her, so alot of the time we're solo parenting. I guess we need to make sure we have the same tactics in dealing with this?

The discipline thing is a hard one, we've never tried it, again I guess best to discuss and try figure out what we're happy to try and what will help her understand.

Originally posted by Kellz Kellz wrote:

An hr seems a very long time to be at the Warehouse. We are never out at the shops that long, DS would well have lost the plot by then.

We've only done that on a couple of days recently when we've had really crappy weather and can't go play outside in -5! It's not shopping so much as letting her have a run around, just inside and not at a playground where we normally tire her out.

The only time we really actually take her shopping as such now is the supermarket, I don't take her to town, she would loose the plot!

Thank you Mummies, keep it coming!

May 2012
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 10:23pm
Also another point ... how are you keeping your kidlets active in winter? I have been taking her out to the playground 3-4 times a week for a play for the last few months, she loves running on the beachfront.
I've been finding it hard to keep her occupied at home when it's too bitter to go out.
We do the things like painting, blocks, puzzles, books, but she's happiest being active during the day.
Last week when the weather was horrible we both went stir crazy stuck inside!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 8:10am
My kids LOVE obstacle courses- at the moment the couch cushions are always on the ground- they make a long row our of them and they do forward rolls etc on then, run and jump on them etc. We have a tunnel which they are playing in today. In the past I have joined the tunnel into the end of a big box to create an enterence to the box and u can turn this into part of the obstacle course. Get her to decorate the box.
Dancing, games like "freeze". Ribbon/ scrafs to twirl.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 8:19am
I agree with Bizzy- The Warehouse is not a playground- if u are letting her run about like it is a playground,..then she will think that that behaviour is acceptable at any shops. The next time shes goes there she will think she can run around again for that long,...and if u were only wanting a short trip and try and get her to sit in the trolley or leave quickly she WILL go nuts!

I give DS the option of going in the buggy/trolley (depending on the shop) or walking. If he runs away or is not listening I warn him that he will have to sit in the trolley/buggy if he doesnt listen/continues to run off etc- then follow through!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 8:21am
Our local ymca runs preschool "gym" classes for $3 per kid- they have trampolines, tunnels, balls etc etc, then a little dancing/singing session during that time too- great for winter indoor exercise/running about- maybe see if there is something similar in your area.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 9:02am
We go to the library a lot when the weather is crappy they have an activity table in the childrens area and I read a few stories.
Or we go to the shopping centre all the Westfield Shopping Centres have a play area which we've been to a few times.
Today we're checking out Lollipops and yesterday we went to McDonald's as they have a play ground which is mostly under cover.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
crafty1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crafty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 4:46pm
This is a great age to start at a local Playgroup, gym class etc which will help burn off some energy. Lots of libraries have events on at certain days, Mainly Music type classes are all over too. Swimming is also a good one in winter with 1 child. We do the obstacle thing too, using planks and cushions and blankets. Makes a mess and they seem to like the building of it the most, but keeps them happy.

As everyone else has said consistency seems to be the key. Neither of my boys have been tantrum throwers but friends have had to deal with that a lot. Avoiding situations where it is going to happen will certainly lessen your having to deal with it and she will grow out of it. At the same time it is also helpful for her to learn now that that kind of behaviour is not acceptable and will not have a positive outcome. How you teach that really depends on how you want to parent.

I found a lot of telling eventually helped my youngest at that age where they have limited control of their urges. Just gently saying "no we don't do that" and picking him up if he is being naughty in shops. Now he tells me what not to do!

Also kids seem to go through phases where it is all one type of behaviour for a few weeks/months and then they sort it out and things settle down for a while before the next onslaught. It is about knowing your boundaries and not budging during the difficult phase i reckon.

lisame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2012 at 5:30pm
Hey MrsAna; maybe something you could try - quite a few mums in our 'coffee group' have been using a very basic version of time out, which apparently is working...
 Post Reply Post Reply