FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp with toddler behaviour....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1st_Time_Preggies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st_Time_Preggies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with toddler behaviour....
    Posted: 23 October 2012 at 1:42pm
DS is 2 years 8 months, DD is 12 weeks, and I am finding the toddler harder than the baby :-( His behaviour is awful, throwing tantrums, talking back, yelling, pushing, hitting, and generally being a PITA. I am starting to dread taking him anywhere cause I can't cope :-(

I can't help but wonder if it is my parenting or something I am or am not doing, or lack of discipline or something?? Or is it just a combination of the age, the new baby, and just dropping his nap?

I thought he adjusted quite well to DD, he loves her to pieces (although is rough) and I give him dedicated one on one time when she is asleep. He doesn't go to any sort of kindy yet (bring it on, three months to go!) so I worry he needs more stimulation, but how do I give him that when he is so difficult to manage?

When we are out and he is horrible, I try time out, or punishment/rewards. Today the punishment was we go home. And we did :-( He pushed two little kids and one mother found it necessary to point out that he had pushed someone else (not even her kid!) so I was at the end of my tether.

Any one got suggestions as to how I handle his behaviour, better ways to cope, am I missing something? At the moment I have turned the tv on, just to get a break from him :-(
Sponsored Links

Aroha11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aroha11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 3:41pm
I can't offer in hints/tips or anything but just wanted to say hang in there!!! Sounds like you are doing everything you can and lets hope it is a phase that ends soon (like tomorrow!!). Good luck.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 7:51pm
Its sounds very normal behaviour for that age- us in the Jan 2010 group have all been going through the same thing with our toddlers recently.

Its definatly difficult when they have dropped their nap too- DS has done that too.
I found the best thing that helped his aggresive behaviour when around other kids was to hang out with kids he did want to play with instead- can be hard- but he was constantly hitting and grabbing at 2 of my friends girls the same age- but when I thought about it he had nothing in common with them, wanted to play differently and with different stuff- I was much more relaxed and so was he when at music cos he has a good mate their who is a about 6 months older and they play builders and rough and tumble games etc and both love it and dont fight almost at all.
I also found being near him at playgroup rather than watching from a distant helped so I was there if he wanted to intereact with me, and it greatly reduced the problems he was having with getting frustrated and lashing out the other kids.
Also leaving the min he was getting tired/grumpy etc- rather than when I was ready or the session ended- following his cues more closely ment we were both more happy.
At home what helped was putting heaps of his toys away out in the garage, and having just 2 boxes inside and they bringing one small lot out at a time- he plays better like that than having a heap of toys available at once, then we rotate them every few weeks.

Hope some of that helps a bit.
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 8:16pm
yip we have been through as well (with both kids at around this age). We are slowly coming out of it....but generally when we are in a group situation I have to stay pretty close to him and just watch him and whenever he gets a sort of look in his eye I praise him about how nicely he is behaving and remind him about 'gentle hands'. If he does hit/push etc he gets removed immediately and has to sit beside me on the side for 2 mins. Before we go anywhere I remind him about gentle play and talk about the sort of behaviours I expect. But sometimes it is just easier to go down to the beach and let him run around and play by himself and not have to worry about how he is going to behave.

Just be consistent, let him know what behaviour you expect and what behaviour is unacceptable and continue with the one-on-one time with him and eventually it will get easier.
Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
 Post Reply Post Reply