FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGetting rid of the bottle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting rid of the bottle
    Posted: 24 May 2005 at 1:45pm
I just thought i would post and ask for advice about getting Paris off the dreaded bottle. I know there are a fair few of us with kiddies around the same age, so i am picking there's probably others going through the same thing, and hopefully a few that have been successful!

She only has it before bed and nap time - and will only drink about 100 mls unless she is really thirsty. It's basically a winding down comfort thing before sleep.

I thought of maybe trying her with a sipper cup - but she will not touch it, she likes to lie down to drink it, so i even tried a sipper cup with non-spill so she still needs to suck to get the drink, but still, no, she will not even try it. I have thought of letting her pick out a new, special cup for her to use especially for this, but am not going to pay out if i am going to end up sticking it in the cupboard. A few people i know didi the cold turkey thing, but i'd like to try a nice approach first.. certainly right now i don't need the hassle of a grumpy kid at bedtimes.

I know that it's not a huge thing in the grand scheme of things, she doesn't suck on a bottle all day long or anything like that, but I'm getting a bit sick of the whole bottle thing and think it's about time she graduated to a cup before bed. she uses a cup or sipper bottle for every other drink she has.

any suggestions? what worked for you?

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Sponsored Links

nuttymama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 2:07pm
jayden is three and we still haven't got him out of the bottle. he's only has his at night now. Just be aware that even if she does get out of it, with bubs due soon she may want it back. Jayden regressed slightly with his bottle and toilet training when we had abby. I really have no advice as we are in the same boat.
Abigail 06/01/2005
Jayden   21/11/2001
Micheal 03/04/1997
Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 2:15pm

Yeah agree with vick,u may have to wait a lil bit longer especially seeing as Paris knows theres a baby coming shortly.

Xander is like Paris in that he doesnt drink his milk from a sippy cup but will happilly drink other fluids from it no probs.

I have been told to wait a lil bit to wean Xander off his nighttime bottles because of the new baby.

BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
AlyAyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlyAyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 2:47pm
Lissy was great giving up her bottle. So i cant really be much help. But I did transition her with a really cool straw and a cup. So she still had the sucking thing going on. Then we just gave up the straw. But she may not have the same attachment to the bottle as she was fully BF. And only had a bottle after she was a year old.

Jayde 25/12/04

Alyssa 08/04/03

http://Alyayde.bebo.com
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 2:53pm
Maya was the same, fully breastfed to 10 mths, then a real fight to get her on the bottle, so she was never that attached to it. We left her bottle out on xmas eve to give to Santa for a "new baby" and in the morning "Santa" had left her a really cool My Little Pony cup. She's been fine with it ever since, only has the bottle now once in a blue moon when she is sick and I need to get more fluids into her.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
melz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 4:21pm
Angie had a bedtime bottle for ages. In the end we just cut the top off the nipple and told her that it was broken and that we didn't have any more. Just as well we were prepared as she insisted on looking in the drawer where they were kept to see for herself. There was nothing there so she accepted it quite happily. We did have one stashed away just in case but we never needed to get it out. We did the same with her dummy a bit later on.
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2005 at 7:58pm
kewl. Thanks for the suggestions etc. I may wait till my sis gets here (tomorrow) and try things while i have some extra support, lol. she has a neat winnie the pooh cup with sparkles she likes, and I may go and get a twirly straw or something. but other than that if it doesn't work then I guess we'll leave it a bit.

can't really get rid of the dummy right now, cos if baby needs one it will have one.. and that'll just be asking for trouble. good to know others have the same probs.

Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Xander&Harmony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xander&Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2005 at 11:06am
ohhh Mel, I may have to try ur solution when Ithe time comes for Xander to stop nite bottles.we have about 12 bottles so will have a few to get rid of.Theres been a few good ideas on getting rid of them so I have a lot of options to try out if one doesnt work.
BECS

Angel Baby 10/07/09 (10wks4days)
 Post Reply Post Reply